Posted to alt.home.repair

Default suggestions on my project?

"alath" wrote in message
ups.com...
Our newly purchased home has a 60's vintage "air conditioner window."
This is a window that was built in to the house for a large window-
style ac unit. The house has long since been converted to central a/c,
but nobody ever bothered to take out the big window unit. It is a bit
ugly, so my thought was to remove the a/c unit and build in a faux
stained glass window. I would trim out the opening, then place a fixed
outer pane and fixed inner pane, and put the faux stained glass
transparent film on the inner pane.

Can anyone suggest any pitfalls, hints, tips, or suggestions that may
help me on this project?

I seem to recall that window a/c's are usually removed/installed from
inside the house - so I should expect this thing to come out into the
house, right?

Some of the larger AC units have a slide out chassis. You remove the inside
unit, then you can take the housing out. Get some help lifting the unit as
they can be very heavy.

Stained glass sounds nice, The double pane idea is good too. Another option
is to replace the entire window with something new, perhaps a greenhouse
window so you can grow fresh herbs for winter use.