Posted to alt.home.repair

Default suggestions on my project?

Our newly purchased home has a 60's vintage "air conditioner window."
This is a window that was built in to the house for a large window-
style ac unit. The house has long since been converted to central a/c,
but nobody ever bothered to take out the big window unit. It is a bit
ugly, so my thought was to remove the a/c unit and build in a faux
stained glass window. I would trim out the opening, then place a fixed
outer pane and fixed inner pane, and put the faux stained glass
transparent film on the inner pane.

Can anyone suggest any pitfalls, hints, tips, or suggestions that may
help me on this project?

I seem to recall that window a/c's are usually removed/installed from
inside the house - so I should expect this thing to come out into the
house, right?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"alath" wrote in message
ups.com...
Our newly purchased home has a 60's vintage "air conditioner window."
This is a window that was built in to the house for a large window-
style ac unit. The house has long since been converted to central a/c,
but nobody ever bothered to take out the big window unit. It is a bit
ugly, so my thought was to remove the a/c unit and build in a faux
stained glass window. I would trim out the opening, then place a fixed
outer pane and fixed inner pane, and put the faux stained glass
transparent film on the inner pane.

Can anyone suggest any pitfalls, hints, tips, or suggestions that may
help me on this project?

I seem to recall that window a/c's are usually removed/installed from
inside the house - so I should expect this thing to come out into the
house, right?

I give my two cents but I'm not too sure it's actually worth that much!
The a/c unit does, indeed, come out from the inside of the house. As far as
the faux stained glass goes I don't know the life expectancy of that stuff
but it will, eventually, come loose. Have you check a glass shop for other
options? Decorative, cut (sand blasted) panels are available and you might
find them within your price range. You don't know until you check and they
may have other suggestions for you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"alath" wrote in message
ups.com...
Our newly purchased home has a 60's vintage "air conditioner window."
This is a window that was built in to the house for a large window-
style ac unit. The house has long since been converted to central a/c,
but nobody ever bothered to take out the big window unit. It is a bit
ugly, so my thought was to remove the a/c unit and build in a faux
stained glass window. I would trim out the opening, then place a fixed
outer pane and fixed inner pane, and put the faux stained glass
transparent film on the inner pane.

Can anyone suggest any pitfalls, hints, tips, or suggestions that may
help me on this project?

I seem to recall that window a/c's are usually removed/installed from
inside the house - so I should expect this thing to come out into the
house, right?

Some of the larger AC units have a slide out chassis. You remove the inside
unit, then you can take the housing out. Get some help lifting the unit as
they can be very heavy.

Stained glass sounds nice, The double pane idea is good too. Another option
is to replace the entire window with something new, perhaps a greenhouse
window so you can grow fresh herbs for winter use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"alath" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Cute idea, but better to use real stained glass, with an outer pane. That
film stuff will fall apart from the heat and UV in that little hotbox two
panes will create. Unless the outside is something impossible to patch in
well, like brick, most people would just patch the hole. Is this on the
front or the end of the house? I have seen holes in brick walls plugged with
decorative stone or faux stone gargoyles or address plates, and such. Local
gravestone company could etch up a granite sink cutout with your family
name, crest, address numbers, whatever. Local arts'n'crafts supply can point
you to people who can make custom-sized stain glass panels to your design.
If they aren't name artists, it isn't even that expensive.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"aemeijers" wrote in message

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"alath" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Where is this window A/C? Is it in the only bedroom currently being used?
If so, you might want to keep it. Turn off the central A/C at night and use
the bedroom one. No need to keep the whole house cool when only one room is
occupied.
--
Peace,
BobJ

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Marilyn & Bob" wrote in message

"aemeijers" wrote in message

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"alath" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Commonly, these big wall-throughs were in living room or kitchen. And a
mondern central unit likely uses less joice than a 1960s wall-through, if it
is indeed the original.

aem sends....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the replies.

The unit is located in the great room, between the kitchen and living
room areas.

I would like to eventually do a real stained glass window in that
spot. It seems like it would be a good location for one based on the
way light comes into the house and the fact that that wall is
prominently "on display" in one of the main rooms of the house.

The faux stained glass film is more of a temporary budget alternative,
that would probably eventually be replaced with real stained glass if
we decide we like it. Or perhaps just keep changing to different
patterns of faux film.