Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Best concrete for setting locast posts ?

"James" wrote in message

I am building a split-rail fence out of locust rails and posts. The
posts
will be set about 8 feet apart. I plan to dig postholes about 18 inches
deep, and set the posts into concrete.

What is the best method, and type of concrete ? My thinking was to use
Quickcrete fast-setting concrete. With similar things in the past, I have
mixed the concrete with water, and poured the mix in and around the post.
But, it seems that I have heard that other folks just pour the dry power
in
the hole around the post, and allow the moisture in the surrounding soil
harden the mix. Others pour in dry, and then just add a modest amount of
water in the hole.

What is the preferred method ??

Thanks for any advice on this !!

James

reply not cross posted!

Locust is a good hard wood but is not treated.

For a simple fence like this I would simply tamp the earth back around the
post or buy a load of DGA roadfill (mixed rock from 3/4" stones to dust)
which once watered in packs very tightly.

If you feel you must use concrete, fill the hole about 1/3 full of water and
pour the dry mix in, poke at it with a stick to insure that all get wet.
This will make a low grade concrete that can be broken when replacing a post
in a few years.

Colbyt