Posted to alt.home.repair
jJim McLaughlin jJim McLaughlin is offline

Default WD-40 in yard light sockets.

kool wrote:
"jJim McLaughlin" wrote in message

Dave wrote:

I have to outdoor light fixtures (four sockets) that have been empty
for several years.

They require a long extension ladder to get to them.

I'm afraid that the threads in the sockets will be a bit corroded.
Can I spray WD-40 into the sockets, let it sit for a while and then
install the bulbs?

Thanks,

Dave

You can, but why?

Think about it. What use is perfuemed pressurized keroscene? I won't
stay in place, it will drip out. It provides zeopotetion aganist
additional
corrosion and will have at best an ephemeral effetc on the
threads in terms of getting a new bulbinstalled.
Go to an auto parts supply store and getconductive bulb grease or
spark plug boot grease.

Lube the bulb threads well with that beore inserting new bulb.

If you have corrosion on the socket threads, TURN OFF THE POWER.
Thoroughly sand the socket threads and the center "button" at the
base of the socket with 180- 200 grit paper.

Think about replacing the socket if its really badly corroded, and use
the conductive bulb or spark plug boot grease on bulbs in the new
sockets.

And always use the big "rubber" / neprene / whatever washer with the
bulbs. Its not perfect but it does hepl reduce the moisture that
gets into the sockets.

I hope you mean NON-conductive grease.Wait... that doesn't compute
either.Conductive = dead short. Non-conductive might reduce electrical
contact.

I meant exactly what I said.

Unfortunatly, you don't have very good reading comprehension.