Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default airconditioner Q.

Pete @ www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Ah ha... I see. the electricity is being used purely to extract heat
from one side, shift it to the other then release it.

More efficient than generating the heat directly.

Indeed. Obviously the motor in the aircon will produce heat directly,
and that too can be vented into the room in heating mode. So if it
consumes 1.3kW of electrical power the heating output will be 1.3kW +
hwatever it can pump (often two or more times that)

Is it possible for a aircon unit to remove moisture from the air while
pumping the heat back into the room?

Yes. Some units have dehumidify option.

I wonder if there is such a thing as a wall mounted de-humidifier for
such situations.

It tends to be the monoblock units that have the dehumidify option. Most
of the wall mounted ones I have seen are split units with an external
condenser.

--
Cheers,

John.