Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
lemel_man lemel_man is offline

Default terminology trivia: Vice-Grips (was US Speed Roller Skating)

John Doe wrote:

Highly likely that anyone in a non-English speaking country would
recognize "vice grips" before they recognized "locking pliers".

That's the issue.

In fact, more people in the world understand what you mean when you
say "vice grips" than they do when you say "locking pliers" or "lock
jaw pliers".

From the worldwide USENET archives.

Results 1 - 100 of about 8,930 for " Vise grips "

Results 1 - 100 of 658 for " Locking pliers "

Results 1 - 37 of 37 for " lock jaw pliers "

Here in UK I reckon they would most likely be known as "Mole grips".

--
Regards, Gary Wooding