Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default terminology trivia: Vice-Grips (was US Speed Roller Skating)

inlina inlina gmail.com wrote:

On Jun 14, 7:37 pm, John Doe j... usenetlove.invalid wrote:

There probably are few people in the world who have never heard of
vice grips.

Umm, the generic name is not vice-grips, it is locking pliers or
lock-jaw pliers.

Very unlikely that is the name in Franklin's home country Norway. Even
if they don't go by the brand name "vice grips", they wouldn't use a
generic English term.

Therefore it is not the case that when you say vice-grips
that everyone in the world understands what you mean.

Highly likely that anyone in a non-English speaking country would
recognize "vice grips" before they recognized "locking pliers".

That's the issue.

In fact, more people in the world understand what you mean when you
say "vice grips" than they do when you say "locking pliers" or "lock
jaw pliers".

From the worldwide USENET archives.

Results 1 - 100 of about 8,930 for " Vise grips "

Results 1 - 100 of 658 for " Locking pliers "

Results 1 - 37 of 37 for " lock jaw pliers "

Vice-grips came from Irwin's trademarked product 'Vise-grips',

Of course it did.

and in typical American fashion it kind of evolved into a
semi-generic term for locking pliers..... much the same way people
use rollerblading for inline skating.

Or "ping-pong" for "table tennis", and so on.

The question was whether someone who claims a good understanding of
English terminology should know what "vice grips" are.

Snipped deeper off-topic digression

CG

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:
inlina inlina gmail.com wrote:

On Jun 14, 7:37 pm, John Doe j... usenetlove.invalid wrote:

There probably are few people in the world who have never heard of
vice grips.

Umm, the generic name is not vice-grips, it is locking pliers or
lock-jaw pliers.

Very unlikely that is the name in Franklin's home country Norway. Even
if they don't go by the brand name "vice grips", they wouldn't use a
generic English term.

Therefore it is not the case that when you say vice-grips
that everyone in the world understands what you mean.

Highly likely that anyone in a non-English speaking country would
recognize "vice grips" before they recognized "locking pliers".

"Vise Grip" is a brand name of lock-jaw pliers.

Think "Kleenex" brand facial tissues.

Vice is a whole 'nuther ball 'o wax.

Rob
Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 15, 11:45 am, John Doe wrote:
Very unlikely that is the name in Franklin's home country Norway. Even
if they don't go by the brand name "vice grips", they wouldn't use a
generic English term.

Perhaps we should ask Franklin, since I have never been to Norway and
I doubt you have either.

Highly likely that anyone in a non-English speaking country would
recognize "vice grips" before they recognized "locking pliers".

That's the issue.

In fact, more people in the world understand what you mean when you
say "vice grips" than they do when you say "locking pliers" or "lock
jaw pliers".

I doubt it....I asked a Korean, and he had no idea what vice grips
were. I'll try and Indian next while he is sitting next to me. And
I'll try someone from China while I'm at it.

From the worldwide USENET archives.

Results 1 - 100 of about 8,930 for " Vise grips "

Results 1 - 100 of 658 for " Locking pliers "

Results 1 - 37 of 37 for " lock jaw pliers "

Since the English written internet is still largely a North American
thing, especially in Usenet, you will get a lot of hits for vice grips
since it is an American colloquialism. Norwegian posts in English
probably don't even rate a mention in in your results and therefore
your data doesn't support your opinion.

The question was whether someone who claims a good understanding of
English terminology should know what "vice grips" are.

I would suggest it is a moot point.

CG

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

inlina inlina gmail.com wrote:

On Jun 15, 11:45 am, John Doe j... usenetlove.invalid wrote:

Very unlikely [locking pliers] is the name in Franklin's home
country Norway. Even if they don't go by the brand name "vice
grips", they wouldn't use a generic English term.

Perhaps we should ask Franklin,

He still trying to figure out how I was able to haul the vice grips
out into the yard, while trying to give me English terminology
lessons.

since I have never been to Norway and I doubt you have either.

Living in Norway does not make Franklin an English terminology expert.

Highly likely that anyone in a non-English speaking country would
recognize "vice grips" before they recognized "locking pliers".

That's the issue.

In fact, more people in the world understand what you mean when you
say "vice grips" than they do when you say "locking pliers" or
"lock jaw pliers".

I doubt it....I asked a Korean, and he had no idea what vice grips
were. I'll try and Indian next while he is sitting next to me. And
I'll try someone from China while I'm at it.

Something tangible would be better.

From the worldwide USENET archives.

Results 1 - 100 of about 8,930 for " Vise grips "

Results 1 - 100 of 658 for " Locking pliers "

Results 1 - 37 of 37 for " lock jaw pliers "

Since the English written internet is still largely a North American
thing, especially in Usenet,

I meet many people from various places... United Kingdom, Canada,
France, Australia, Asia, and others.

you will get a lot of hits for vice grips

It already happened.

since it is an American colloquialism. Norwegian posts in English
probably don't even rate a mention in in your results

Says who?

and therefore your data doesn't support your opinion.

Much more so than pretending to ask a Chinaman.

From: inlina inlina gmail.com
Newsgroups: rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.craft s.metalworking
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 03:33:58 -0000
References: 1181117228.288002.298900 h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com bmC9i.13455$RX.7411 newssvr11.news.prodigy.net 1181171985.143034.227020 z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com CzJ9i.13489$RX.6707 newssvr11.news.prodigy.net 1181181798.268694.89310 g37g2000prf.googlegroups.com w9K9i.6894$u56.5925 newssvr22.news.prodigy.net 1181187120.186832.245070 q19g2000prn.googlegroups.com W3M9i.435$TC1.158 newssvr17.news.prodigy.net 136fq0clk9uafd6 corp.supernews.com M2S9i.11347$4Y.2931 newssvr19.news.prodigy.net 1181303126.628027.266000 e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com 6c1bd$466961dd$54d15ed9$28146 news.chello.no JAeai.7136$u56.5951 newssvr22.news.prodigy.net d088a$466bc92e$54d15ed9$8319 news.chello.no 0%7ci.13792$2v1.7747 newssvr14.news.prodigy.net 1181823227.067063.75510 o11g2000prd.googlegroups.com obmci.14529$RX.10452 newssvr11.news.prodigy.net

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 01:45:56 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

inlina inlina gmail.com wrote:

On Jun 14, 7:37 pm, John Doe j... usenetlove.invalid wrote:

There probably are few people in the world who have never heard of
vice grips.

Umm, the generic name is not vice-grips, it is locking pliers or
lock-jaw pliers.

Very unlikely that is the name in Franklin's home country Norway. Even
if they don't go by the brand name "vice grips", they wouldn't use a
generic English term.

Therefore it is not the case that when you say vice-grips
that everyone in the world understands what you mean.

Highly likely that anyone in a non-English speaking country would
recognize "vice grips" before they recognized "locking pliers".

I tend to agree. I live in the USA and I've never heard of lock-jaw
pliers. Sears and I'm sure other sell a variety of locking pliers,
with clever designs, which might be very useful in some places where
vise-grips are not, but they are not vise-grips or imitations. The
vise-grip design is, all-in-all, the best and I'm sure it is what was
intended.

There is more than one product that is known outside of the US by an
American trade name. I have heard of 3 or 4, but the most recent one,
the only one I remember now is that baby food in general is referred
to as Gerbers, in Israel. I think others I found in Central America
35 years ago. I don't think legal issues about trademark are so
important for American brands outside of America, or these are just
different cases where enforcement has failed, like aspirin and maybe
Kleenex.

That's the issue.

In fact, more people in the world understand what you mean when you
say "vice grips" than they do when you say "locking pliers" or "lock
jaw pliers".

From the worldwide USENET archives.

Results 1 - 100 of about 8,930 for " Vise grips "

Results 1 - 100 of about 11,000 for " Vice grips "

More than the others!

Results 1 - 100 of 658 for " Locking pliers "

Results 1 - 37 of 37 for " lock jaw pliers "

Vice-grips came from Irwin's trademarked product 'Vise-grips',

Of course it did.

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:

Highly likely that anyone in a non-English speaking country would
recognize "vice grips" before they recognized "locking pliers".

That's the issue.

In fact, more people in the world understand what you mean when you
say "vice grips" than they do when you say "locking pliers" or "lock
jaw pliers".

From the worldwide USENET archives.

Results 1 - 100 of about 8,930 for " Vise grips "

Results 1 - 100 of 658 for " Locking pliers "

Results 1 - 37 of 37 for " lock jaw pliers "

Here in UK I reckon they would most likely be known as "Mole grips".

--
Regards, Gary Wooding

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:

[...]

From the worldwide USENET archives.

Results 1 - 100 of about 8,930 for " Vise grips "

Results 1 - 100 of 658 for " Locking pliers "

Results 1 - 37 of 37 for " lock jaw pliers "

Vice-grips came from Irwin's trademarked product 'Vise-grips',

Of course it did.

and in typical American fashion it kind of evolved into a
semi-generic term for locking pliers..... much the same way people
use rollerblading for inline skating.

Or "ping-pong" for "table tennis", and so on.

The question was whether someone who claims a good understanding of
English terminology should know what "vice grips" are.

I'm from Sweden, and I wasn't sure what was meant by vice grips, but
when I saw the words "locking pliers" I knew what it was. But if my
understanding of the English terminology had been better, I would
probably have known the other term, also.

S.
Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 01:49:31 -0400, mm wrote:

[...]

Xerox

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly
Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII
Meets all EPA regulations for clean air
Using only naturally occuring fibers
Use the Message with confidance.
(Some settling may occure in transit.)
(Best if Used before May 13, 2009)
Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 14, 9:45 pm, John Doe wrote:
[...]

From the worldwide USENET archives.

Results 1 - 100 of about 8,930 for " Vise grips "

Results 1 - 100 of 658 for " Locking pliers "

Results 1 - 37 of 37 for " lock jaw pliers "

Vice-grips came from Irwin's trademarked product 'Vise-grips',

Of course it did.

and in typical American fashion it kind of evolved into a
semi-generic term for locking pliers..... much the same way people
use rollerblading for inline skating.

Or "ping-pong" for "table tennis", and so on.

The question was whether someone who claims a good understanding of
English terminology should know what "vice grips" are.

Snipped deeper off-topic digression

CG

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php...king+pliers%22

Dave

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
trainfan1 wrote:

"Vise Grip" is a brand name of lock-jaw pliers.

Think "Kleenex" brand facial tissues.

Vice is a whole 'nuther ball 'o wax.

And usually more fun.

Rob

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 14, 10:40 pm, trainfan1 wrote:
John Doe wrote:
[...]

Get your hoover out to clean the floor and then look out through your
plexiglass window.

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 15, 7:57?am, sparky wrote:

recognize "vice grips" before they recognized "locking pliers".

Vice grips would be when you use them to hold a marijuana ciggarette
when it is small

vice being a hedonistic pursuit

"Vise Grip" is a brand name of lock-jaw pliers.

Vise grips are when you use it for mechanical purposes

like a vise

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:00:59 -0700, motorblade wrote:

On Jun 15, 7:57?am, sparky wrote:

recognize "vice grips" before they recognized "locking pliers".

Vice grips would be when you use them to hold a marijuana ciggarette
when it is small

vice being a hedonistic pursuit

"Vise Grip" is a brand name of lock-jaw pliers.

Vise grips are when you use it for mechanical purposes

like a vise

Only in strange parts of the world that don't spell English correctly:-)

PS:-
They are Mole Wrenches.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

sparky wrote:

Get your hoover out to clean the floor and then look out through your
plexiglass window.

What realy got me was making a verb out of Hoover. :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

John Doe wrote:
[...]

Then go to your refrigerator for a beer.

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 21:59:18 +0100, Mark Rand
wrote:

PS:-
They are Mole Wrenches.

Is that because they are used to turn moles, or because moles use
them?

Mark Rand

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

PS:-
They are Mole Wrenches.

Is that because they are used to turn moles, or because moles use
them?

Mark Rand

MOLE is a Brit company that makes a vice-grip type pliers. In my
experience slightly inferior to the genuine "vice grips". Not sure
which came first - but I've used both and know my preference.

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

John Doe wrote:
[...]

From the worldwide USENET archives.

Results 1 - 100 of about 8,930 for " Vise grips "

Results 1 - 100 of 658 for " Locking pliers "

Results 1 - 37 of 37 for " lock jaw pliers "

Vice-grips came from Irwin's trademarked product 'Vise-grips',

Of course it did.

No it didn't, it came from Petersen Mfg Co's trademarked "Vise-Grip" clamps,
that used William Petersen's patent of Jan 5 1923.

Tom

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Origin of Vise grps

Tom wrote:
John Doe wrote:

[...]

From the worldwide USENET archives.

Results 1 - 100 of about 8,930 for " Vise grips "

Results 1 - 100 of 658 for " Locking pliers "

Results 1 - 37 of 37 for " lock jaw pliers "

Vice-grips came from Irwin's trademarked product 'Vise-grips',

Of course it did.

No it didn't, it came from Petersen Mfg Co's trademarked "Vise-Grip"
clamps,
that used William Petersen's patent of Jan 5 1923.

Tom

The Vise-Grip was apparently invented by a mechanic from Prince Edward
Island, Canada and the patent was sold to the Peterson Company for the
sum of $500 back in the 20's. Wether his was the first patent for the
vise-grip or if the Peterson company was buying up competing patents, I
am not sure.

James Crombie

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

James P Crombie wrote:
Tom wrote:

John Doe wrote:

[...]

From the worldwide USENET archives.

Results 1 - 100 of about 8,930 for " Vise grips "

Results 1 - 100 of 658 for " Locking pliers "

Results 1 - 37 of 37 for " lock jaw pliers "

Vice-grips came from Irwin's trademarked product 'Vise-grips',

Of course it did.

No it didn't, it came from Petersen Mfg Co's trademarked "Vise-Grip"
clamps,
that used William Petersen's patent of Jan 5 1923.

Tom

The Vise-Grip was apparently invented by a mechanic from Prince Edward
Island, Canada and the patent was sold to the Peterson Company for the
sum of $500 back in the 20's. Wether his was the first patent for the
vise-grip or if the Peterson company was buying up competing patents, I
am not sure.

James Crombie

UIrban myth from Canada, perhaps?
When William Petersen was granted his patent, http://tinyurl.com/2ts9gu,
in 1923, the Peterson company was yet to be formed.

Tom

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 17, 10:37 am, Tom wrote:
John Doe wrote:
inlina inlina gmail.com wrote:
Vice-grips came from Irwin's trademarked product 'Vise-grips',

Of course it did.

No it didn't, it came from Petersen Mfg Co's trademarked "Vise-Grip" clamps,
that used William Petersen's patent of Jan 5 1923.

Petersen's product was the 'Vise-Grip' locking pliers. The remenents
of his original company and the 'Vise-Grip' name eventually beame part
of Irwin (which is owned by Newell Rubbermaid).

http://www.livinghistoryfarm.org/far...chines_12.html

CG

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 15, 3:03 pm, John Doe wrote:
inlina inlina gmail.com wrote:
since I have never been to Norway and I doubt you have either.

Living in Norway does not make Franklin an English terminology expert.

But it makes him the closest thing to the English speaking Noeweigen I
know. And I trust him more than I trust you, Mark.

I doubt it....I asked a Korean, and he had no idea what vice grips
were. I'll try and Indian next while he is sitting next to me. And
I'll try someone from China while I'm at it.

Something tangible would be better.

It's as tangible as the evindence we have that you inline skate.
Posting GPS data isn't evidence that you skate, nor are any of your
other posts of your 'experiences'.

Since the English written internet is still largely a North American
thing, especially in Usenet,

I meet many people from various places... United Kingdom, Canada,
France, Australia, Asia, and others.

You meet? Typically ambiguous from you. Discussions (or arguing in
your case) with someone through your terminal doesn't constitute
meeting with someone in my book.

you will get a lot of hits for vice grips

It already happened.

Good work on missing my point.

since it is an American colloquialism. Norwegian posts in English
probably don't even rate a mention in in your results

Says who?

You have no evidence to the contrary until you read every single one
of those posts you have already 'researched'.

and therefore your data doesn't support your opinion.

Much more so than pretending to ask a Chinaman.

Your data supports your argument about as well as your A-cup bra
supports your D-cup man-boobs.

The question was whether someone who claims a good understanding of
English terminology should know what "vice grips" are.

(Nice work on leaving your comment in and snipping my retort.) I'll
respond again.....I would suggest it is a moot point.

CG

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
mm mm is offline

wrote:

PS:-
They are Mole Wrenches.

Is that because they are used to turn moles, or because moles use
them?

Mark Rand

MOLE is a Brit company that makes a vice-grip type pliers. In my
experience slightly inferior to the genuine "vice grips". Not sure
which came first - but I've used both and know my preference.

I haven't had the chance to use Mole brand, but even though Vise Grips
look like they are made from sheet metal, I've pounded on them with a
hammer and never seen a dent. I"ve never seen the jaws lose their
sharpness, either, in my limited use.

I have a cheap imitation also that doesn't engender such confidence in
me. I forget why.
Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 06:41:13 -0000, inlina wrote:

No it didn't, it came from Petersen Mfg Co's trademarked "Vise-Grip" clamps,
that used William Petersen's patent of Jan 5 1923.

Petersen's product was the 'Vise-Grip' locking pliers. The remenents
of his original company and the 'Vise-Grip' name eventually beame part
of Irwin (which is owned by Newell Rubbermaid).

I tried the rubber version of vise grips. They don't work well at
all.

Get steel instead.

http://www.livinghistoryfarm.org/far...chines_12.html

CG

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Tom is offline

inlina wrote:

On Jun 17, 10:37 am, Tom wrote:

John Doe wrote:

inlina inlina gmail.com wrote:

Vice-grips came from Irwin's trademarked product 'Vise-grips',

Of course it did.

No it didn't, it came from Petersen Mfg Co's trademarked "Vise-Grip" clamps,
that used William Petersen's patent of Jan 5 1923.

Petersen's product was the 'Vise-Grip' locking pliers. The remenents
of his original company and the 'Vise-Grip' name eventually beame part
of Irwin (which is owned by Newell Rubbermaid).

http://www.livinghistoryfarm.org/far...chines_12.html

CG

You don't want to believe everything written on the 'net.
Petersen's never marketed Vise-grips as pliers.
They were sold as wrenches.
Not so? http://tinyurl.com/352sko

Tom

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

mm wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 06:41:13 -0000, inlina wrote:

No it didn't, it came from Petersen Mfg Co's trademarked "Vise-Grip" clamps,
that used William Petersen's patent of Jan 5 1923.

Petersen's product was the 'Vise-Grip' locking pliers. The remenents
of his original company and the 'Vise-Grip' name eventually beame part
of Irwin (which is owned by Newell Rubbermaid).

I tried the rubber version of vise grips. They don't work well at
all.

Get steel instead.

Of course they didn't, because they were sold in toy stores and made
for kids, ten and under.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 17, 7:50 pm, Tom wrote:
You don't want to believe everything written on the 'net.
Petersen's never marketed Vise-grips as pliers.
They were sold as wrenches.
Not so?http://tinyurl.com/352sko

True, they were not refered to as pliers or locking pliers 'back in
the day'. However, the current generic term for the tool in the
spotlight is either locking pliers OR lock-jaw pliers.

As we have discovered, they are sometimes refered to as vise-grips or
mole-grips depending on where you are from.

At the end of the day, I have just run a world record time in the
Special Olympics.

CG

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 15, 3:03 pm, John Doe j... usenetlove.invalid wrote:
inlina inlina gmail.com wrote:
since I have never been to Norway and I doubt you have either.

Living in Norway does not make Franklin an English terminology
expert.

But it makes him the closest thing to the English speaking Noeweigen
I know. And I trust him more than I trust you, Mark.

Says a living dead has been in-line skater who gushes lies whenever
someone contradicts him.

I doubt it....I asked a Korean, and he had no idea what vice
grips were. I'll try and Indian next while he is sitting next to
me. And I'll try someone from China while I'm at it.

Something tangible would be better.

It's as tangible

It isn't the slightest bit tangible.

Since the English written internet is still largely a North
American thing, especially in Usenet,

I meet many people from various places... United Kingdom, Canada,
France, Australia, Asia, and others.

You meet?

Yeah, it's ordinary English.

Typically ambiguous from you.

Only if you enjoy confusing things and gushing lies whenever someone
contradicts you.

Discussions (or arguing in
your case) with someone through your terminal doesn't constitute
meeting with someone in my book.

Sounds like a personal problem to me, and has nothing to do with this
context.

you will get a lot of hits for vice grips

It already happened.

since it is an American colloquialism. Norwegian posts in English
probably don't even rate a mention in in your results

Says who?

Snipped the typical non-response

and therefore your data doesn't support your opinion.

Much more so than pretending to ask a Chinaman.

Your data supports your argument about as well as your A-cup bra
supports your D-cup man-boobs.

From looking at your pictures, you must be looking in a mirror, or
looking at your dad.

Not me I'm quite trim these days.

The question was whether someone who claims a good understanding
of English terminology should know what "vice grips" are.

(Nice work on leaving your comment in and snipping my retort.) I'll
respond again.....I would suggest it is a moot point.

That is better than your usual endless gushing of lies whenever
someone contradicts you, but you haven't had the last word yet.

CG

From: inlina inlina gmail.com
Newsgroups: rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.craft s.metalworking
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 06:53:59 -0000
References: 1181171985.143034.227020 z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com CzJ9i.13489$RX.6707 newssvr11.news.prodigy.net 1181181798.268694.89310 g37g2000prf.googlegroups.com w9K9i.6894$u56.5925 newssvr22.news.prodigy.net 1181187120.186832.245070 q19g2000prn.googlegroups.com W3M9i.435$TC1.158 newssvr17.news.prodigy.net 136fq0clk9uafd6 corp.supernews.com M2S9i.11347$4Y.2931 newssvr19.news.prodigy.net 1181303126.628027.266000 e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com 6c1bd$466961dd$54d15ed9$28146 news.chello.no JAeai.7136$u56.5951 newssvr22.news.prodigy.net d088a$466bc92e$54d15ed9$8319 news.chello.no 0%7ci.13792$2v1.7747 newssvr14.news.prodigy.net 1181823227.067063.75510 o11g2000prd.googlegroups.com obmci.14529$RX.10452 newssvr11.news.prodigy.net 1181878438.476115.124920 a26g2000pre.googlegroups.com N4pci.33282$Um6.3677 newssvr12.news.prodigy.net

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 17, 7:50 pm, Tom tmar... xtraspam.co.nz wrote:

You don't want to believe everything written on the 'net.
Petersen's never marketed Vise-grips as pliers.
They were sold as wrenches.
Not so?http://tinyurl.com/352sko

True, they were not refered to as pliers or locking pliers 'back in
the day'. However, the current generic term for the tool in the
spotlight is either locking pliers OR lock-jaw pliers.

As we have discovered, they are sometimes refered to as vise-grips or
mole-grips depending on where you are from.

In fact, the vast majority of people in the world understand what you
mean when you say "vice grips". If they don't understand the term
"vice grips", then they probably don't speak English.

Some tangible evidence from the worldwide USENET archives:

Results 1 - 100 of about 8,930 for " Vise grips "

Results 1 - 100 of 658 for " Locking pliers "

Results 1 - 37 of 37 for " lock jaw pliers "

At the end of the day, I have just run a world record time in the
Special Olympics.

Winning anything in the Special Olympics probably would be the most
notable thing you've ever done.

Corey Gibson is just another living dead chronic liar from the in-line
skating group.

CG

From: inlina inlina gmail.com
Newsgroups: rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.craft s.metalworking
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 01:06:12 -0000
References: 1181181798.268694.89310 g37g2000prf.googlegroups.com w9K9i.6894$u56.5925 newssvr22.news.prodigy.net 1181187120.186832.245070 q19g2000prn.googlegroups.com W3M9i.435$TC1.158 newssvr17.news.prodigy.net 136fq0clk9uafd6 corp.supernews.com M2S9i.11347$4Y.2931 newssvr19.news.prodigy.net 1181303126.628027.266000 e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com 6c1bd$466961dd$54d15ed9$28146 news.chello.no JAeai.7136$u56.5951 newssvr22.news.prodigy.net d088a$466bc92e$54d15ed9$8319 news.chello.no 0%7ci.13792$2v1.7747 newssvr14.news.prodigy.net 1181823227.067063.75510 o11g2000prd.googlegroups.com obmci.14529$RX.10452 newssvr11.news.prodigy.net 46747617$0$16322$88260bb3 free.teranews.com 1182062473.953123.308230 g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com 4674f7c2$0$15142$88260bb3 free.teranews.com

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

mm wrote:

I haven't had the chance to use Mole brand, but even though Vise
Grips look like they are made from sheet metal, I've pounded on them
with a hammer and never seen a dent. I"ve never seen the jaws lose
their sharpness, either, in my limited use.

I have a cheap imitation also that doesn't engender such confidence
in me. I forget why.

I currently have four. Three Vice Grip brand (small, medium, and big),
and one Stanley brand long nose. Two of the vise grips have rubber
handles that slide around (to be removed soon).

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

lemel_man wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Highly likely that anyone in a non-English speaking country would
recognize "vice grips" before they recognized "locking pliers".

That's the issue.

In fact, more people in the world understand what you mean when you
say "vice grips" than they do when you say "locking pliers" or "lock
jaw pliers".

From the worldwide USENET archives.

Results 1 - 100 of about 8,930 for " Vise grips "

Results 1 - 100 of 658 for " Locking pliers "

Results 1 - 37 of 37 for " lock jaw pliers "

Here in UK I reckon they would most likely be known as "Mole grips".

Results 1 - 88 of 88 for "Vise grips" group:uk*

Results 1 - 100 of 609 for "Mole grips" group:uk*

Well I reckon too.

Posted to rec.sport.skating.inline,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking

inlina inlina gmail.com wrote:

Your data supports your argument about as well as your A-cup bra
supports your D-cup man-boobs.

Nope... I'm in good shape, and here are my last blood tests.

Blood triglyceride 69

Total cholesterol 163
HDL "good" cholesterol 53
LDL "bad" cholesterol 96

Considering the garbage Corey Gibson claims to ingest, he probably
cannot hold a candle to that.

Anti-Skating Problem Sven Electronics Repair 3 February 20th 07 02:43 PM
Best Pliers or Vice Grips (or similar tool?) [email protected] Home Repair 27 January 12th 07 07:11 AM
Trivia Junkyard Engineer Woodworking 6 October 3rd 06 03:19 AM
Skating on thin ice with a _long musing about turned 'novelties'. Arch Woodturning 15 November 15th 05 04:16 PM
Advice needed: looking to buy offset spanner and vice grips. Sleeker GT Phwoar UK diy 8 May 15th 05 11:02 PM