Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Roofer wants to sell me his tiles

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message

"Just Joe" not given @bogus.com wrote in message
Call the guy back and offer to buy 50-100 from him at say half of
current retail. If he has had them since 2004 he needs to sell them
worse than you need to buy them. Think about it. What is he going to do
with them? He does not have enough to roof an entire house and can not
get more. Then again if you can afford to live in a house whose roof
alone cost 40 grand why are you worried about this? Pay the man what he
wants to fix it.

That is bad advice.
The OP needs those tiles. The roofer merely wants to get rid of them.
If he doesn't sell them to the OP he can sell them to someone else
eventually. The roofer has the OP over a barrel; to antagonize him is a
serious mistake.

But you are right about the roof costing 40 grand and the trivial cost
for the tiles.
Just buy the tiles for a reasonable price and find a creative way to
store them; staining another color is bizarre.

How do I know what a reasonable price is? He told me it's taking room in
his ware house and he wants to get rid of them.

I wonder if he is open to sharing with me name/number of other houses he
did his roofing job on with same tiles so I can call them and put together
a package deal...

How much would the tiles be if you bought 500 of a current color from a
retailer. Are we talking $100, $1000, or $10,000?
If we are talking about $1000. how much time is it worth to screw around
with this. Offer him $750 for the lot. Once you have purchased them, then
you can then ask him if he used the same color on other jobs. Maybe you can
unload some, maybe not; but don't louse up your only chance to get them. If
he says he wants to unload them, then let him do it painlessly; don't make
him think too hard about it.

I have what I think is a nice house, and it cost me (or rather it cost my
insurance company...) $8,000 to put a new roof on a few years back. I am
making the assumption that if yours cost $40,000 then your time is too
valuable to waste on picking up a few tiles at the cheapest price possible.