Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roofer wants to sell me his tiles

My house has a new barrel tiled roof put on in 2004. At the time the
previous owner paid $40000 for the new roof.

Since then a few tiles (about six) were damaged badly and I need to replace
them. I called around and found that the tiles are still being manufactured
but the specific color has been discontinued. The tiles are called Vanguarf
Roll:

http://www.monierlifetile.com/produc...d&profileid=38

I finally located the roofer who installed the roof and he told me he did a
few jobs with that tile in 2004 and still have lots of left over tiles. In
fact he said he has a whole pallate of it, like 500 pieces. He asked me if
I want to buy it form him. I told him I needed 10-12 pieces but he was not
interested to sell me 10-12.

He said if I get another hurricane it would be wise to get as many tiles as
I can, but do I really need 500 pieces? This will take up a good part of my
garage. He said to give him a price...now I am wondering first, should I
get it and if so, how much should it be?

If not I can always order the 10-12 I need in another color and try to stain
it to match.

Any thoughts and comments?

Thanks,

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

Any neighbors with the same color of tile? Maybe you could go in together
and split the pallet. You don't have to keep them inside on the pallet, by
the way- you could dense-stack them against the back wall of the garage
outside behind a bush, like a cord of firewood. Yeah, spares are a good
idea- I have a conventional asphalt roof, but before roofer hauled the
overpriced dumpster away, I fished a dozen or so clean complete leftover
shingles out, and stacked them in a crevice in the garage where they won't
fuse together.

aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.monierlifetile.com/produc...cfm?regionid=7...

I finally located the roofer who installed the roof and he told me he did a
few jobs with that tile in 2004 and still have lots of left over tiles. In
fact he said he has a whole pallate of it, like 500 pieces. He asked me if
I want to buy it form him. I told him I needed 10-12 pieces but he was not
interested to sell me 10-12.

He said if I get another hurricane it would be wise to get as many tiles as
I can, but do I really need 500 pieces? This will take up a good part of my
garage. He said to give him a price...now I am wondering first, should I
get it and if so, how much should it be?

If not I can always order the 10-12 I need in another color and try to stain
it to match.

Any thoughts and comments?

Thanks,

MC

Unless there is a market for the tiles or you get a great deal or you
can split with some neghbors.........buy the wrong color ones & use
one from the backyard roof to replace the ones visible from the street

Sounds like you lose about 2 tiles per year (not including hurricanes)
with a pallet load you have enough to last until the new millennium.

He's had these tiles since 2004...........tell him to give YOU a
price.

Check ebay & craigslist to see if there is a market for these tiles in
this color.

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 14, 12:38?am, BobK207 wrote:
[...]

Bob- Hide quoted text -

i would definetely buy them and store outdoors. look at it this way
when it comes time to sell your home miss matched tiles will be a
issue, detracting from price, extra tiles a nice plus.

just dont overpay. start low and work your way up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

MiamiCuse wrote:
My house has a new barrel tiled roof put on in 2004. At the time
the previous owner paid $40000 for the new roof.

Since then a few tiles (about six) were damaged badly and I need to
replace them. I called around and found that the tiles are still
being manufactured but the specific color has been discontinued.
The tiles are called Vanguarf Roll:

http://www.monierlifetile.com/produc...fm?regionid=7&
producttype=standard&profileid=38

I finally located the roofer who installed the roof and he told me
he did a few jobs with that tile in 2004 and still have lots of
left over tiles. In fact he said he has a whole pallate of it,
like 500 pieces. He asked me if I want to buy it form him. I told
him I needed 10-12 pieces but he was not interested to sell me
10-12.

He said if I get another hurricane it would be wise to get as many
tiles as I can, but do I really need 500 pieces? This will take up
a good part of my garage. He said to give him a price...now I am
wondering first, should I get it and if so, how much should it be?

When I did my roof in 1996 I used Monier - 70 squares (7,000 sq.ft.)
at about $6,000.
_______________

If not I can always order the 10-12 I need in another color and try
to stain it to match.

1. I doubt staining would work

2. Have you checked with Monier in other parts of the country for the
color you need? Just because it is discontinued in Florida doesn't
mean it has been elsewhere. Hawaii might be a good starting point...

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dadiOH wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:
My house has a new barrel tiled roof put on in 2004. At the time
the previous owner paid $40000 for the new roof.

Since then a few tiles (about six) were damaged badly and I need to
replace them. I called around and found that the tiles are still
being manufactured but the specific color has been discontinued.

2. Have you checked with Monier in other parts of the country for the
color you need? Just because it is discontinued in Florida doesn't
mean it has been elsewhere. Hawaii might be a good starting point...

I'm sure he could ship them in from Hawaii cheaper than buying matching
originals second-hand locally...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

MiamiCuse wrote:
I finally located the roofer who installed the roof and he told me he did a
few jobs with that tile in 2004 and still have lots of left over tiles. In
fact he said he has a whole pallate of it, like 500 pieces. He asked me if
I want to buy it form him. I told him I needed 10-12 pieces but he was not
interested to sell me 10-12.

He said if I get another hurricane it would be wise to get as many tiles as
I can, but do I really need 500 pieces? ...
Any thoughts and comments?

If you really have hurricane damage, chances are you'll need either just
a few or a whole lot -- I'd presume 500 aren't but a meager fraction of
the whole roof or even one section, are they?

OTOH, as someone else says, they can be stored outside so if you have a
back corner on the lot somewhere out of the way, nothing really lost and
you would then have a match for any routine damage for as long as you're
probably going to be there. And, if anything, they're only going to get
harder to find in all likelihood.

Given the kind of house you've described, seems like reasonable to me --
this ain't a 1-br cheapie kind o' place, so may as well do it right...

imo, ymmv, $0.02, etc., etc., etc., ...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

If the price is right, buy them and take what you want and sell the rest.
I'll bet an ad in the paper will find buyers to buy them a few at a time,
probably for more than you paid for the lot. Maybe some guy is looking to
roof a small shed.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 23:37:14 -0400, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

My house has a new barrel tiled roof put on in 2004. At the time the
previous owner paid $40000 for the new roof.

Since then a few tiles (about six) were damaged badly and I need to replace
them. I called around and found that the tiles are still being manufactured
but the specific color has been discontinued. The tiles are called Vanguarf

....[much deleted]....
If not I can always order the 10-12 I need in another color and try to stain
it to match.

Well, you could buy the pallet, and sell the excess on ebay,
or you could get contrasting tiles, and swap them around with
other tiles on the roof so that the new ones are in some sort
of regular pattern.

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

I would go for it if the price is right, I always insist on having spare
floor and wall tiles, roof shingles and other items that are only available
for a short time before the style or colour drops off the market. If there
is another storm you may be real happy that you have them. If you never find
a use for them, I am sure there are people who would need some for repairs,
I am sure that you could sell them in lots of 10s or so to these people.

wrote:

My house has a new barrel tiled roof put on in 2004. At the time the
previous owner paid $40000 for the new roof.

Since then a few tiles (about six) were damaged badly and I need to
replace
them. I called around and found that the tiles are still being
manufactured
but the specific color has been discontinued. The tiles are called
Vanguarf

...[much deleted]....
If not I can always order the 10-12 I need in another color and try to
stain
it to match.

Well, you could buy the pallet, and sell the excess on ebay,
or you could get contrasting tiles, and swap them around with
other tiles on the roof so that the new ones are in some sort
of regular pattern.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Call the guy back and offer to buy 50-100 from him at say half of current
retail. If he has had them since 2004 he needs to sell them worse than you
need to buy them. Think about it. What is he going to do with them? He does
not have enough to roof an entire house and can not get more. Then again if
you can afford to live in a house whose roof alone cost 40 grand why are you
worried about this? Pay the man what he wants to fix it.

Joe

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Just Joe" not given @bogus.com wrote in message
Call the guy back and offer to buy 50-100 from him at say half of current
retail. If he has had them since 2004 he needs to sell them worse than you
need to buy them. Think about it. What is he going to do with them? He
does not have enough to roof an entire house and can not get more. Then
again if you can afford to live in a house whose roof alone cost 40 grand
why are you worried about this? Pay the man what he wants to fix it.

That is bad advice.
The OP needs those tiles. The roofer merely wants to get rid of them. If
he doesn't sell them to the OP he can sell them to someone else eventually.
The roofer has the OP over a barrel; to antagonize him is a serious mistake.

But you are right about the roof costing 40 grand and the trivial cost for
the tiles.
Just buy the tiles for a reasonable price and find a creative way to store
them; staining another color is bizarre.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Make him an offer he can't refuse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in message

[...]

How do I know what a reasonable price is? He told me it's taking room in
his ware house and he wants to get rid of them.

I wonder if he is open to sharing with me name/number of other houses he did
his roofing job on with same tiles so I can call them and put together a
package deal...

MC

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message

[...]

How much would the tiles be if you bought 500 of a current color from a
retailer. Are we talking $100, $1000, or $10,000?
If we are talking about $1000. how much time is it worth to screw around
with this. Offer him $750 for the lot. Once you have purchased them, then
you can then ask him if he used the same color on other jobs. Maybe you can
unload some, maybe not; but don't louse up your only chance to get them. If
he says he wants to unload them, then let him do it painlessly; don't make
him think too hard about it.

I have what I think is a nice house, and it cost me (or rather it cost my
insurance company...) $8,000 to put a new roof on a few years back. I am
making the assumption that if yours cost $40,000 then your time is too
valuable to waste on picking up a few tiles at the cheapest price possible.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

MiamiCuse wrote:
"Toller" wrote in message
[...]

What do new of the same type sell for? What did these cost when new?
What is the trouble of trying to find something to match or cobble up a
"not-too-bad" contrasting color worth to you? Just by the pallet, and
put an ad on Craig's list or something if you don't want to keep the rest...