Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Roof framing repair advise needed

"Pat" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 14, 2:44 pm, "EXT" wrote:
It sounds like the previous owner who may have spent $40,000 on the roof,
did a cheap cosmetic repair where he probably should have spent another
$10,000 to do a proper job. For you to do more superficial patching will
not
really repair the problems but only extend the life for a while. You need
do some major sistering and not with short blocking, basically replacing
all
the damaged wood or at least doubling/tripling framing that is no longer
structural.

"Pat" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jun 13, 11:23 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
I need some expert advise on how to repair rotted roof framing.

I am repairing a house that had some termite and rot problems over the
year.
The house has been tented and roof has been replaced last year by the
previous owner.

Now I am repairing some areas of the fascia and underlying lumber.
It's
probably easier to show a few pictures.

Here is one side where I removed the soffit ceiling to expose the
soffit
framing.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...rd/CopyofP1010...

Before I removed the soffit I thought the damaged piece is a short
section
from the exterior wall to the fascia, but turned out it goes all the
way
inside so I cannot replace it. The ends are basically rotted away and
had
termite damage as well. The fascia is a 2x12 that will be attached to
it
perpendicularly. I guess the only way to repair this, is to attach a
2x6
like I had to one side? or should I attach another one to the other
side
and "sandwich" the damaged piece? What is the best way to repair
this?

Another damaged area is shown here from an angle:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...rd/CopyofP1010...

a side view of the same damaged area:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...d/P1010075.jpg

a close up with annotations:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...rd/CopyofP1010...

In the above image, you can see the rafter extends to the fascia
(which I
already removed) and the end of the rafter is completely rotted.
Again
it
extends all the way to the inside of the roof and it's impossible to
replace, so my solution is to use an attached 2x4, well, I will now
change
it to a 3x8 to match it exactly.

Note the rafter is attached to another fascia. This is a 2x12. There
is
metal I-beam that runs across the ceiling, the 2x12 is seated inside
the
beam so that another layer of fascia can be attached to it. See how
the
termite had eaten half the wood away? I was thinking about cutting
that
piece out but with the I beam in the way I cannot cut it and replace
that
section, then I thought it is best to not cut it to preserve whatever
strength it has. My question is - is there a way to strengthen it? I
know
since the I-beam carries the roof load this 2x12 is not truly
structural,
but I will have another layer of fascia covering it, and then some
parts
of
it will be attached to a gutter, and some parts of it will be attached
an
overhead screen enclosure framework, so it will have to be able to
handle
that.

My question is whether there is any product I can use to "fill" this
hole
that will have some structural strength? Is there any kind of
structural
wood filler? Anything at all that may help?

After I repair all the pieces, should I tie the 2x12 and the adjacent
rafter
together using some metal straps would that make things better?

Thanks,

MC

Man, I hope you bought that house CHEAP after seeing what you are
going through with it. Man-o-man.

I think you need to have someone take a serious look at this issue.
I'm not sure that your short little sister is sufficient there.
Granted it doesn't hold much weight but it's got some leverage on it
and who knows what a high wind would do.

Before you go throw too much money at it, you might want to consider
just ripping it all out and starting again. If you do that, you might
then consider what else you might want to do at the same time -- like
add a second floor or bump up the ceiling or put in sky lights to find
a way to re-route your troublesome AC.

Ugh. Good luck with it. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

I agree. He needs to go longer with the sisters. But to do that he's
getting into serious trouble. It's be hard to do from the outside.
So he'll either need to take the roof off (at which time he might as
well just replace everything) or get into the attic to do that (or
take out sheetrock if he can't get into the attic). But just the
patch will need to include doubling just about everything. Ugh. Too
bad. Time to call a serious roofing contractor.

There are only about six rafters that are in that condition, localized to
one area. Most rot are at the end of the rafter where the fascia is
attached. I think by sistering the end I can support whatever weight I need
to support for the fascia.

If I need to get into the attic to double the whole thing I can do it, I
plan on ripping out all the ceilings anyways so it's possible, but is it
necessary to double sister 18' of rafter when the damage is at the last six
inches? It's not impossible it's doable just more work but I thought that's
an overkill.

Thanks,

MC