Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

Default SF versus SL 10W-30 oil.

dpb wrote:

That said, there are a few oils I _won't_ use -- QS is one. No way to
prove it really had anything to do with it, but I had a Chevy 350 throw
a rod w/ it -- when opened it up, the top of the head was 2 inches deep
in sludge and blocking the oiling holes so it wasn't getting any oil at
all down no's 7 & 8 and the rest were ready...never overheated, always
changed on schedule, etc., etc., ...

Conversly, I rebuilt a Chevy 350 that had been run on Havoline for 90k
miles. It was shiney inside with little-to-no sludge. Guess that's
why the oil looks black after 500 miles - it's really collecting those
deposits.

KC