Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.survivalism

Default Mice in the basement

On Jun 14, 11:45?am, "Bob Brock" wrote:
"Ignoramus26157" wrote in message

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:38:28 GMT, JoeSpareBedroom
wrote:
"Ignoramus26157" wrote in message
We have recently observed mice in the basement. We have a "pantry"
down there where there was a lot of food, such as rice etc, which the
mice fed on.

We threw out everything that was not in cans. I set up a "mouse cube"
type of mouse trap (highly recommended) and it caught one mouse. Kids
reported seeing one more mouse afterwards.

My question is how to get rid of them effectively. At this point there
is no mouse accessible food left in the basement.

I would prefer not to use poison for two reasons, one is that we have
a toddler, and another is that dead mice make big stink (don't ask me
how I know). I would prefer to either drive them away, or catch them.

Thanks

Spring-loaded mouse trap baited with a bit of cracker & peanut butter.
Yeah...I know...you have to remove the dead mouse, but this method
involves
no poison and is very effective. Put on a pair of dishwashing gloves when
handling the dead mouse, and then wash your glove covered hands with
whatever liquid detergent you have around. Keep the toddlers out of the
basement until this is over.

Thanks. I do not mind extracting mice from spring loaded traps. (I
mentioned them dying from poinson because when poisoned, they tend to
die in unaccessible places). I will probably buy a few spring loaded
mouse traps in addition to mouse cubes.

Just a thought. You might want to remember that, once the mice figure out
that their food supply has disappeared, they will find food somewhere else.
They may move upstairs.- Hide quoted text -

there are live mouse traps, trap door, like a havehart trap. work
well.

easily released mice outdoors. plus its humane