Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default garage door opener that automatically closes?

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:11:13 -0400, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:

The Reverend Natural Light wrote:
the only thing I'm finding is an aftermarket 'butler' that works
wirelessly, which is fine, but do any openers have this built in?

I'd buy one.

Every morning on the way out, I

1. Watch the door close all the way.

My opener has been known to almost completely close, then reverse itself. One
day I worked an entire 12 hour shift only to find the door wide open when I got
home. My garage is attached to the house and is my normal method of entrance so
essentially the front door to the house was wide open all day long. Luckily,
nobody decided to take advantage of it or I'd be in a world of hurt.

Now I back out, hit the remote, and wait until the door has closed completely...
and about 15 seconds more just to be sure. I don't move until I know it's
closed all the way... ever.

I don't know why a manufacturer would have to worry particularly about injuring
somebody with an unattended closing, particularly if the IR beams remain active.
It seems like the worst that could happen would be that the door wouldn't close
if something was in its way. It already does that.

YEah, and if the door doesn't close when the label says it will,
that's ANOTHER liability problem. All of which the manufacturers
would be prepared to deal with or just tolerate, if they thought
enough people would pay enough more to make it worthwhile.

Which they don't, or there's be a system.

(If you want your door to close in order to keep
people for stealing your stuff, why are are you
willing to leave before it does so? and how is the
door going to know the difference between when you WANT
the thing up, and when you just forgot to shut it?)