Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] nmbexcuse@hotmail.com is offline

Default Roof framing repair advise needed

On Jun 14, 9:54 am, "dadiOH" wrote:

A 2x12 ???????? I have little experience in this area but the
fascias on my Florida house are 3/4 x6 cedar.

dadiOH

Much of the fascia in this house are 2x12s, well I am not sure I
should have called them fascia. The house's exterior walls are all
poured solid concrete, there are metal I-BEAMs along all the exterior
and interior perimeters above the ceiling. The metal I-BEAMs are used
to support roof overhang areas - some sticks out 6 to 8 feet.

The I-BEAMs are 12" deep, embedded into the "I" of the I-BEAM are the
2x12 boards. They are bolted onto the I-BEAM and the "real" fascia
are attached to that lumber. I called the embedded lumber fascia but
it's incorrect. The actual fascia is a four layer construction, with
a 1x12 on top of that, then a 1x10 layer mounted flushed to the top,
then another 1x8 layer, then another 1x6 layer. So the actual fascia
is a 4 layer 1x with decreasing depths.