Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default Roof framing repair advise needed

MiamiCuse wrote:
I need some expert advise on how to repair rotted roof framing.

I am repairing a house that had some termite and rot problems over
the year. The house has been tented and roof has been replaced last
year by the previous owner.

Now I am repairing some areas of the fascia and underlying lumber.
It's probably easier to show a few pictures.

Here is one side where I removed the soffit ceiling to expose the
soffit framing.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...d/CopyofP10100
74.jpg

Before I removed the soffit I thought the damaged piece is a short
section from the exterior wall to the fascia, but turned out it
goes all the way inside so I cannot replace it.

Is it a truss rather than a rafter?.
_______________

The ends are
basically rotted away and had termite damage as well. The fascia
is a 2x12 that will be attached to it perpendicularly.

A 2x12 ???????? I have little experience in this area but the
fascias on my Florida house are 3/4 x6 cedar.
______________

My question is whether there is any product I can use to "fill"
this hole that will have some structural strength? Is there any
kind of structural wood filler? Anything at all that may help?

GitRot
__________________

After I repair all the pieces, should I tie the 2x12 and the
adjacent rafter together using some metal straps would that make
things better?

What you *should* do is get a contractor...someone that knows what to
do and how to do it.

Someone also needs to figure out why you are getting water damage at
the ends of the trusses/rafters. The fascia should cover them and the
drip strip - the piece of aluminum directly under the tile - should
extend downward over the fascia board so that no water can get to
them. In at least one of the photos you linked, that doesn't look
like it is the case.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...