Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roofer wants to sell me his tiles

On Jun 14, 12:38?am, BobK207 wrote:
On Jun 13, 8:37 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:

My house has a new barrel tiled roof put on in 2004. At the time the
previous owner paid $40000 for the new roof.

Since then a few tiles (about six) were damaged badly and I need to replace
them. I called around and found that the tiles are still being manufactured
but the specific color has been discontinued. The tiles are called Vanguarf
Roll:

http://www.monierlifetile.com/produc...cfm?regionid=7...

I finally located the roofer who installed the roof and he told me he did a
few jobs with that tile in 2004 and still have lots of left over tiles. In
fact he said he has a whole pallate of it, like 500 pieces. He asked me if
I want to buy it form him. I told him I needed 10-12 pieces but he was not
interested to sell me 10-12.

He said if I get another hurricane it would be wise to get as many tiles as
I can, but do I really need 500 pieces? This will take up a good part of my
garage. He said to give him a price...now I am wondering first, should I
get it and if so, how much should it be?

If not I can always order the 10-12 I need in another color and try to stain
it to match.

Any thoughts and comments?

Thanks,

MC

Unless there is a market for the tiles or you get a great deal or you
can split with some neghbors.........buy the wrong color ones & use
one from the backyard roof to replace the ones visible from the street

Sounds like you lose about 2 tiles per year (not including hurricanes)
with a pallet load you have enough to last until the new millennium.

He's had these tiles since 2004...........tell him to give YOU a
price.

Check ebay & craigslist to see if there is a market for these tiles in
this color.

cheers
Bob- Hide quoted text -

i would definetely buy them and store outdoors. look at it this way
when it comes time to sell your home miss matched tiles will be a
issue, detracting from price, extra tiles a nice plus.

just dont overpay. start low and work your way up.