Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Roofer wants to sell me his tiles

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message
My house has a new barrel tiled roof put on in 2004. At the time the
previous owner paid $40000 for the new roof.

Since then a few tiles (about six) were damaged badly and I need to
replace them. I called around and found that the tiles are still being
manufactured but the specific color has been discontinued. The tiles are
called Vanguarf Roll:

http://www.monierlifetile.com/produc...d&profileid=38

I finally located the roofer who installed the roof and he told me he did
a few jobs with that tile in 2004 and still have lots of left over tiles.
In fact he said he has a whole pallate of it, like 500 pieces. He asked
me if I want to buy it form him. I told him I needed 10-12 pieces but he
was not interested to sell me 10-12.

He said if I get another hurricane it would be wise to get as many tiles
as I can, but do I really need 500 pieces? This will take up a good part
of my garage. He said to give him a price...now I am wondering first,
should I get it and if so, how much should it be?

If not I can always order the 10-12 I need in another color and try to
stain it to match.

Any thoughts and comments?

Any neighbors with the same color of tile? Maybe you could go in together
and split the pallet. You don't have to keep them inside on the pallet, by
the way- you could dense-stack them against the back wall of the garage
outside behind a bush, like a cord of firewood. Yeah, spares are a good
idea- I have a conventional asphalt roof, but before roofer hauled the
overpriced dumpster away, I fished a dozen or so clean complete leftover
shingles out, and stacked them in a crevice in the garage where they won't
fuse together.

aem sends...