Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Installing grab bars in an acrylic shower

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 22:10:35 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

"Oren" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 08:41:55 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

stud finder

Locate the wall studs by checking above the enclosure.

Good idea. I probably would have (foolishly) tried to find the studs right
at grab bar level. Your way makes more sense.

Using a 6d finish nail, drive into the center of the stud above. A
string attached to the nail and weight anchored with a nut/nail will
get you close on the vertical.

In '95 I bought a house from a builder. I slipped in one day to see
the progress. I must have counted 15 16d nails sticking through the
shower enclosure. I lived there 10 years and could never see the
fixes. I was impressed. My panic was no worry for the builder.:-)

Use a level or plumb bob to get yourself close for the handle..and find
the studs. I would follow the stainless steel screw comment.

Yes. I intend to look for SS screws and some good silicone caulk to make
sure water doesn't get in through the bolt holes.

BTW, you may have a specific local code too abide by.

Very good point. Another reason to have a local contractor perform the
work.

Mom deserves the BEST!!

--
Oren