Posted to alt.home.repair
dnoyeB dnoyeB is offline

Default Recommend Cordless Hammer Drill

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:39:13 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On 12 Jun, 18:35, "dnoyeB" wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 11:26:25 -0500, dpb wrote:
Any comments on the consistency of the DeWalt cordless hammer drill
torque adjustment?

What are you drilling that it is noticeable on a drill setting (messing
up holes puzzles me -- I can understand depth on driving screws, harder
time w/ drilling).

Other than that, no comment other than the B&D Firestorm is a relatively
inexpensive line, try Milwaukee red or similar...

-- I am screwing screws into plastic holes most often. sometimes
soft wood
-- like plywood or particle board.

And for this you are using a hammer drill? Hammer drills are typically
used for drilling into concrete, not screwing screws (or even drilling
holes) in relatively soft materials such as the examples you gave.

LOL, yea I usually have a helluva time with those flathead screws. The
hammer action really requires a steady hand and damn good timing

The drill needs the option to turn off the hammer feature. I am not a
professional carpenter so I dont have several better tools, but fewer
tools that to acceptably. its just that I am less than satisfied with the
B&D.

As far as making a drill stop that should be foolproof, try this:

1 - Cut a length of dowel stock to the exact length needed to expose
just enough of the drill bit for the depth of the hole
2 - Drill a hole through the center of the dowel stock.
3 - Slip the dowel stock over the drill bit.

I've seen this method used when drilling the holes for undermount
sinks. The last thing you want is for your "screw-on" drill stop to
slide up the bit and cause you to drill through the counter top. By
slipping a solid piece of dowel stock over the drill bit, you won't be
able to drill any deeper than the exposed section of the bit.

I think these drill stops sound much better than the drill attachments. I
had trouble when I had an attacment because the slightest tip of the drill
and the depth changes.

Using them on a counter top is a good example. I just had to do that at
my moms. I use the tape now, but id rather have a proper stop of some
sort.