jim rozen

Default B&S #9 taper-metalworking content

In article , Jon Elson says...

Yeah, I had the same experience when I got my Bridgeport with the M head
and B&S #7 taper. Same story. I did manage to get the end mill holder
out of the spindle, but it took 2 weeks. Oil did nothing. Bashing the
drawbar did nothing. The end mill holder was wider at the outer end
than the taper, so we had something to grip it by, and the machine was
usable, as long as you could work with a 3/8" end mill. So, I made
a paur of U-shaped collars, one for the spindle nose, one for the
end mill holder, and put in threaded holes for bolts to spread the
collars. My friend and I applied force to those collars until they bent,
no movement! Finally, we applied heat to the spindle (gently) with a
propane torch, cold to the end mill holder with ice, pressure with
the collars, AND severe pounding on the drawbar with a 6 Lb hammer,
all at the same time! It finally released with a pop.

Ouch. That's gotta hurt the bearings.

I think if I were in that spot, I'd disassemble the
spindle and machine out the offending part.

Jim

please reply to: