Posted to alt.home.repair
trainfan1 trainfan1 is offline

Default SF versus SL 10W-30 oil.

Rich256 wrote:
On Jun 12, 8:34 pm, "Toller" wrote:
My understanding is that you have to use motor oil that "at least" meets the
auto manufacturer's requirement, but would that be true for a generator
also?

I got my Yamaha EF1000 today. The instructions call for SE or SF oil; all I
had was SL. Is there any reason that might not be okay?

I know, "Call Yamaha". I had to call them three times to verify that a
claim made in one of their retailer's ads (that it will do 3500w for 3
seconds) was accurate; I doubt I can actually reach anyone there who knows
what oil is. Not that Yamaha doesn't know what oil is; they just don't let
those people talk to customers.

Thanks.

As other say SL is the newest level oil and I expect exceeds all
previous.

I myself use nothing but 5W30 Mobil 1 in my Honda Generator and all
other air cooled engines. Air cooled engines usually run hotter and
Synthetics can take a lot more heat without breaking down. Another
advantage is that synthetics don't need the Viscosity Improvers (that
don't provide much lubrication). Don't worry about the 5W
classification. That means that at 32 F it has the same visosity as
straight 5 weight at that temperature. That is thicker than the oil
is when it is at operating temperature.

This is top-notch advice on the synthetic.

SL supersedes & replaces all SK & earlier rated oils and is fine.

Rob

There are many web sites that get into extensive details about oil.
For example:

http://www.atis.net/oil_faq.html