Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker Steve Barker is offline

Default SF versus SL 10W-30 oil.

SL is newer and very much ok where SE or SF is specified. You see, "L"
comes after "E" or "F". The oils are always backwards compatible.

--
Steve Barker

"Toller" wrote in message
My understanding is that you have to use motor oil that "at least" meets
the auto manufacturer's requirement, but would that be true for a
generator also?

I got my Yamaha EF1000 today. The instructions call for SE or SF oil; all
I had was SL. Is there any reason that might not be okay?

I know, "Call Yamaha". I had to call them three times to verify that a
claim made in one of their retailer's ads (that it will do 3500w for 3
seconds) was accurate; I doubt I can actually reach anyone there who knows
what oil is. Not that Yamaha doesn't know what oil is; they just don't
let those people talk to customers.

Thanks.