Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.cleaning,alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Lubricant for Glass Sliding door tracks ?

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

On Jun 12, 4:06 pm, "James" wrote:

What is a good lubricant for glass sliding door tracks? I suppose I need
something that will lube the tracks for at least a few weeks, without
attracting too much dirt and grime to the lubricant itself. I have
tried
a soap bar which works well, but only for a week or so.

I haven't tried it, but what about graphite. Seems logically that it
would be OK....

Graphite will make a gunky mess. Any lubricant is the wrong approach. The
door needs to be fixed properly meaning it must be removed from the track
the rollers replaced. It should be done soon as more wear can ruin the
track completely.

My parents had a sliding glass door at their house - when they bought
the house it was in really bad shape and would barely slide. The
eventual fix was not only replacement of any suspect rollers but
renewing the lower track. Somewhere my dad found a stainless U-channel
for just this purpose, it would snap over the existing track and provide
a new, smooth (and harder than the original aluminum) surface for the
rollers to ride on. The original track was so badly worn that we had to
fill the stainless U-channel with something - I don't remember what, but
possibly silicone? - to make up the difference in areas where the
rollers actually rode. Worked beautifully with no maintenance until
maybe 10-15 years later when they decided to replace the sliding door
with new french doors.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.