Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] timbirr@mailcity.com is offline

Default Sprinker system installation questions

On Jun 12, 4:19 pm, Ken wrote:
1) How deep should I dig my trenches for my lateral lines? I live in
the Seattle area; I'm not sure how much of an issue freezing is.

2) I notice that sprinkler head bodies come in varying heights. I'm
just going to be watering a 350 sq. ft. lawn (no shrubs) and I'm
wondering what height I should purchase? All of my radii are 10' or
less.

3) Double-check valves seem to be sized to fit a range of sizes. I'm
considering the following Conbraco unit; will it accomodate my 1-1/4"
PVC mainline?http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/1-...ck-Valve-Assem...

4) I had a plumber tell me that I could bury my double check valve in
a valve box underground. All of the models I see online, however,
seem to require them to be mounted a foot above the ground. Are there
types that can be buried? I don't mind putting forth a little extra
money/effort to protect my potable water.

5) Can someone recommend a Seattle-area retailer that carries
sprinkler heads, valves, and accessories that are of higher quality
than one finds at Home Depot?

Thanks for any guidance!

United pipe and supply. They are all over the area. Bury six to eight
inches works in Portland. Hell, my home water supply is that deep and
it has reached 9 degrees here a few times.....no problems. The thing
is, you don't have days of freeze. You have a night or two of
it....not enough to really freeze underground.