Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

Default Sprinker system installation questions

1) How deep should I dig my trenches for my lateral lines? I live in
the Seattle area; I'm not sure how much of an issue freezing is.

2) I notice that sprinkler head bodies come in varying heights. I'm
just going to be watering a 350 sq. ft. lawn (no shrubs) and I'm
wondering what height I should purchase? All of my radii are 10' or
less.

3) Double-check valves seem to be sized to fit a range of sizes. I'm
considering the following Conbraco unit; will it accomodate my 1-1/4"
PVC mainline?
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/1-...c40-105-t2.htm

4) I had a plumber tell me that I could bury my double check valve in
a valve box underground. All of the models I see online, however,
seem to require them to be mounted a foot above the ground. Are there
types that can be buried? I don't mind putting forth a little extra
money/effort to protect my potable water.

5) Can someone recommend a Seattle-area retailer that carries
sprinkler heads, valves, and accessories that are of higher quality
than one finds at Home Depot?

Thanks for any guidance!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ken" wrote in message
oups.com...
1) How deep should I dig my trenches for my lateral lines? I live
in
the Seattle area; I'm not sure how much of an issue freezing is.

If you install an automatic drain valve at the one low spot of each
line it shouldn't be a problem. The pipe does need to slope towards
the drain so all the water can drain. A foot or so is good.though.

2) I notice that sprinkler head bodies come in varying heights. I'm
just going to be watering a 350 sq. ft. lawn (no shrubs) and I'm
wondering what height I should purchase? All of my radii are 10' or
less.

You want the head to be able to get above the plants and other
obsticles around it.

3) Double-check valves seem to be sized to fit a range of sizes.
I'm
considering the following Conbraco unit; will it accomodate my
1-1/4"
PVC mainline?
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/1-...c40-105-t2.htm

A vacuum breaker in the supply line before the control valves and
above the ground piping would probably be a cheaper solution.

4) I had a plumber tell me that I could bury my double check valve
in
a valve box underground. All of the models I see online, however,
seem to require them to be mounted a foot above the ground. Are
there
types that can be buried? I don't mind putting forth a little extra
money/effort to protect my potable water.

5) Can someone recommend a Seattle-area retailer that carries
sprinkler heads, valves, and accessories that are of higher quality
than one finds at Home Depot?

Are they really that bad?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 12, 7:19 pm, Ken wrote:
1) How deep should I dig my trenches for my lateral lines? I live in
the Seattle area; I'm not sure how much of an issue freezing is.

Freezing isn't an issue. In areas where it freezes the system are
either made to self drain or else blown out with air before winter.
I'd suggest if your going to trench, go 8". That's about the depth of
a rotor head. And that way the pipe will be deep enough so that you
can aerate the lawn and not run the chance of hitting a line. The
pros use equipment that basicly pulls the pipe and in hard soil areas,
they probably wind up half that depth in many spots.

2) I notice that sprinkler head bodies come in varying heights. I'm
just going to be watering a 350 sq. ft. lawn (no shrubs) and I'm
wondering what height I should purchase? All of my radii are 10' or
less.

Should be app info on the manufacturers websites that give a guide.

3) Double-check valves seem to be sized to fit a range of sizes. I'm
considering the following Conbraco unit; will it accomodate my 1-1/4"
PVC mainline?http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/1-...ck-Valve-Assem...

Don't know, fitting size should be on the spec sheet.

4) I had a plumber tell me that I could bury my double check valve in
a valve box underground. All of the models I see online, however,
seem to require them to be mounted a foot above the ground. Are there
types that can be buried? I don't mind putting forth a little extra
money/effort to protect my potable water.

How does burying it do anything to protect your water? The backflow
devices I've seen on systems have been mounted above ground, where the
pipe exits the building. Seems the easy and logical way to do it to
me, unless there is a specific problem. Usually, they are just
hidden by shrubs. I'd check the local code as they may have reqts as
to specific type of device, location, etc.

5) Can someone recommend a Seattle-area retailer that carries
sprinkler heads, valves, and accessories that are of higher quality
than one finds at Home Depot?

Thanks for any guidance!

Here on the east coast, the local plumbing supply sells them. Check
there or under irrigation supplies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 12, 4:19 pm, Ken wrote:
[...]

United pipe and supply. They are all over the area. Bury six to eight
inches works in Portland. Hell, my home water supply is that deep and
it has reached 9 degrees here a few times.....no problems. The thing
is, you don't have days of freeze. You have a night or two of
it....not enough to really freeze underground.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 12, 4:19 pm, Ken wrote:
[...]

I've installed & maintained several sprinkler systems (my own homes,
rental properties & my relatives homes) over the past 30 years.

I have a vested interest in a system that works......I've got to
maintain it & make any changes needed to make sure it works.

I use Toro 570 series 3" pop-ups for lawns,
http://www.toro.com/sprinklers/fixedspray/index.html

available at HD; I'm just now repalced Toro 570's installed in 1980

I use Champion (red brass) automatic anti-siphon valves w/ unions
brass/brass units not any cheap plastic acutators
http://www.championirrigation.com/HT.../Cat_ASVs.html
get the "classic" model they last longer

I have some units in service for 30 years, the acutators have been
replaced only once in that time; the valve bodies should last nearly
100 years

red brass due to the high copper content (80-85%) and has a life
expectancy of 50-100 years..

I've been through a number of timer models & manufactures ......Now I
use the Toro ECx 8-Zone Sprinkler Timer, I've got four operating
systems as I type.

It's does everything I need a timer to do; it's intuitive, reliable &
you can get them on Ebay!

http://www.toro.com/sprinklers/timers/ecx/53333.html

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ken Ken is offline

brass/brass units not any cheap plastic acutatorshttp://www.championirrigation.com/HTML_Pages/Cat_ASVs.html
get the "classic" model they last longer

I have some units in service for 30 years, the acutators have been
replaced only once in that time; the valve bodies should last nearly
100 years

red brass due to the high copper content (80-85%) and has a life
expectancy of 50-100 years..

I've been through a number of timer models & manufactures ......Now I
use the Toro ECx 8-Zone Sprinkler Timer, I've got four operating
systems as I type.

It's does everything I need a timer to do; it's intuitive, reliable &
you can get them on Ebay!

http://www.toro.com/sprinklers/timers/ecx/53333.html

cheers
Bob- Hide quoted text -

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ken wrote:
1) How deep should I dig my trenches for my lateral lines? I live in
the Seattle area; I'm not sure how much of an issue freezing is.

I would be inclined to have the lines a little deeper, particularly near
the heads. Over the years, soil shifts and you may have to raise some
heads to match the higher surface. Its a lot easier to raise a head by
adding a riser than to raise the lateral line. To keep the head
perpendicular, you have to either use a riser, or raise the lateral line
for a foot or two near the head.

2) I notice that sprinkler head bodies come in varying heights. I'm
just going to be watering a 350 sq. ft. lawn (no shrubs) and I'm
wondering what height I should purchase? All of my radii are 10' or
less.

This depends on how short you keep your grass. A 3-inch pop up may not
clear grass that is kept long, while it would be ok if you keep the
grass very short.

3) Double-check valves seem to be sized to fit a range of sizes. I'm
considering the following Conbraco unit; will it accomodate my 1-1/4"
PVC mainline?
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/1-...c40-105-t2.htm

4) I had a plumber tell me that I could bury my double check valve in
a valve box underground. All of the models I see online, however,
seem to require them to be mounted a foot above the ground. Are there
types that can be buried? I don't mind putting forth a little extra
money/effort to protect my potable water.

5) Can someone recommend a Seattle-area retailer that carries
sprinkler heads, valves, and accessories that are of higher quality
than one finds at Home Depot?

I would check around and find an irrigation supply house that will serve
the public, and then choose a brand based on what is available. In my
neighborhood, neither HD nor Lowe's carries irrigation equipment
(although Rainbird lists Lowe's as a source) and some years ago when HD
did carry irrigation equipment, it had the same brand name as what the
pro's used, but what they were selling was plainly a less sturdy
product. I've had very good results with Rainbird, but I think all the
manufacturers have a pro level product that is good, so finding a good
supplier would be my main consideration.

Thanks for any guidance!