Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shocking Shower

wrote in message

:
: The first thing he should do is completely disconnect the
furnace.
: The switch shuts off the HOT. But open the box and disconnect
the
: neutral too. Then see if you get a shock or voltage reading.
If not,
: there is an electrical leak, bad motor or something else. If
there is
: still voltage in the shower, the problem is not the furnace.

CY: That's good. I remember that we did turn off the furnace, and
the 5 volts disappeared.

:
: You did not mention what kind of pipe feeds that shower. Is it
: copper, steel or pvc or some other plastic? If it's copper,
or steel
: ground the pipes to a good ground. If its a type of plastic,
some
: wire has to be touching the shower valve. It could be someone
: punctured a romex cable with a nail and it's leaking into
something
: metal touching the shower valves.

CY: The water pipe is copper.

:
: On the other hand, it could be the drain that is getting the
voltage.
: I dont think anyone uses metalic pipe for drainage these days.
Thus,
: with pvc pipes, the voltage it leaking into the drain, or the
tub
: itself if it's a metal tub.

CY: Unlikely that the drain is energized.

:
: Here's another test. Shut off the MAINS in thge breaker box.
Do you
: still get a shock? If not, turn on the mains and turn off each
: breaker one by one till you find the one that kills the shock.
Trace
: that entire circuit. I'd guess it does to that bathroom.

CY: Good diagnostic technique.

:
: Of course, since this is a church project, it could be that the
man
: upstairs is just having a little fun, or maybe he needs more
people in
: heaven. So, if all else fails, blame God.

CY: I'll do that.

:
: T8EPLO96
: