Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Installing grab bars in an acrylic shower

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:30:22 -0400, "Robert Green"
wrote:

Good idea. I found a few on Ebay (almost all were suction cup types) if I
can't scrounge one up locally. It's the installation part that's really got
me worried. I saw them do a set on This Old House a long time ago, at the
grab bar they used had an umbrella-like toggle bolt that expanded when

Umbrella=like are not toggles. They might be mollies, I forget, but
not toggles, which go up and down like toggle switches. But you don't
want to use them. Especially in the case of a shower or bath tub where
water might get in and ruin the sheetrock which is all that mollies
and toggles hold to. Find a stud.

Shame on This Old House. I'll bet Bob Villa's mother wasn't going to
live there.

pushed through the hole and then you screwed it in tight. Darned if I can
find it on their website, now, though! (-: I am not even sure if this type
of shower wall can withstand that sort of stress, even with that umbrella

If we're only talking about the acrylic shower wall, it can't take any
stress. It's plastic.

thing.