Posted to alt.home.repair
betsyb betsyb is offline

Default Installing grab bars in an acrylic shower

Nancy, try wetting the cups first. Works on hanging stained glass doodas on
my windows. I usually spit on them.

--

BetsyB

"Robert Green" wrote in message
"Nancy Young" wrote in message
. ..

"Robert Green" wrote

(hopefully) wooden studs that should be mounted on 16" centers. I'd
appreciate any thoughts or input and/or sources for the grab bars.

Look for a medical supply store, they will sell them. Online, too,
of course. Good luck, sorry I can't help you with the installation.

Good idea. I found a few on Ebay (almost all were suction cup types) if I
can't scrounge one up locally. It's the installation part that's really
got
me worried. I saw them do a set on This Old House a long time ago, at the
grab bar they used had an umbrella-like toggle bolt that expanded when
pushed through the hole and then you screwed it in tight. Darned if I can
find it on their website, now, though! (-: I am not even sure if this
type
of shower wall can withstand that sort of stress, even with that umbrella
thing.

I've had enough suction cup experience to know I don't want mom's bones
depending on them maintaining a vacuum. I keep finding my toothbrush
holder
lying in the sink in the mornings after it's suction cup unsucked.

Thanks for the suggestion, Nancy.

--
Bobby G.