Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Installing grab bars in an acrylic shower

On Jun 12, 11:30 am, "Robert Green"
wrote:
"Nancy Young" wrote in message

. ..

"Robert Green" wrote

(hopefully) wooden studs that should be mounted on 16" centers. I'd
appreciate any thoughts or input and/or sources for the grab bars.

Look for a medical supply store, they will sell them. Online, too,
of course. Good luck, sorry I can't help you with the installation.

Good idea. I found a few on Ebay (almost all were suction cup types) if I
can't scrounge one up locally. It's the installation part that's really got
me worried. I saw them do a set on This Old House a long time ago, at the
grab bar they used had an umbrella-like toggle bolt that expanded when
pushed through the hole and then you screwed it in tight. Darned if I can
find it on their website, now, though! (-: I am not even sure if this type
of shower wall can withstand that sort of stress, even with that umbrella
thing.

I've had enough suction cup experience to know I don't want mom's bones
depending on them maintaining a vacuum. I keep finding my toothbrush holder
lying in the sink in the mornings after it's suction cup unsucked.

Thanks for the suggestion, Nancy.

--
Bobby G.

Nancy: If you can't find and or do not use that 'umbrella type
expanding bolt', suggest you use good quality stainless steel screws
etc. Other kinds may rust or corrode.

There is sort of clear plastic bar in our tub/shower enclosure. but
it's too low to be much help. In our case did not wish to try and
fasten anything to the less than one quarter inch thick enclosure tub
walls*.

However I was able to mount a substantial stainless vertical handle
with four long ss screws just to the side of the tube enclosure. The
ss screws go through the plasterboard and into the two by four
structure around the tub opening. I can use the right hand while
stepping into the tub and can reach it with left hand stepping out.
Helps my my 73+ year old knees etc. Very solid and it looks like short
but vertical towel bar. In fact it could be used as such.

* If you do have to attach something to the wall of the tub/shower and
do not know where there is any wood behind to attach to, is there any
way to reach in and place say a piece of scrap plywood against the
back surface of the acrylic in order to spread the loading? How far
away from say a wood studded wall is the back wall surface of the tub.
You could use some pretty long (four, six inch etc.) ss screws; right?

Can completely understand the dilemma; cos once having drilled hole
through the tub wall if it's in the wrong place .........!

Anything substantial above (unlikely?) that could support a stainless
steel chain-handle-grip? Just a thought anyway.