Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bazza Bazza is offline

Default Garage electrics and part P

John Rumm wrote:
Bazza wrote:

The electrics in the garage are surface mounted in t&e, correctly
sized but very untidy, bit like spaghetti junction.
These feed 3 double switched sockets (metal) and 3 florescent lights
that are wired from an ancient 4 way fused cu.
What I want to do is to move the sockets to a more user friendly area,
remove redundant runs, place the cable in trunking and replace the cu
with a wylex 2 way rcd garage unit from screwfix.

I will not be putting in virgin runs just reworking what is already
there and upgrading components, there is ample existing loose cable so
I don't need to purchase new cable which means no mixed colours

My question is this, is this reportable under the part P regs?

Upgrading like for like and modifying existing circuits would not be
notifiable. Replacing the CU would.

However I would always go with doing what makes for the best and safest
installation regardless of the requirements of part pee.

Yes that's the way I will go, I want what I consider to be a safe
installation although since fitting the RCD several years ago the only
time it has tripped is when I do a monthly test.
What I am doing is not rocket science but although I am not a qualified
household electrician I have considerable experience in 3 phase control
panels so have no worries about tackling this, I do like a nice tidy
installation.

Bazza