Gunner

Default B&S #9 taper-metalworking content

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 16:56:23 -0800, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Gunner wrote:
A gentleman set me the spindle from his Vernon horizontal mill, as the
arbor was stuck. It had not been removed for some time and nothing he
did would get it out. I started trying to remove the arbor
yesterday..normal stuff, heat, Kroil, etc etc. No go. I made a new
draw bolt less the treads, (his was broken off IN the arbor) and
tried pressing it out with my 6 ton press. Still no go.

I took it down to my buddies machine shop, and we stuck it in the 12
ton press. Still no go, even when beating on the top of the jack to
jar it free.

It took the 50 ton press to break it free, and when it let go, it
shook the entire building. The arbor had a very nice and even coating
of very thin rust on the taper. No pitting and it cleaned up very
nicely with a gray scotchbrite on the lathe.

The B&S tapers are self holding, using friction. And boy howdy..this
one sure was self holding.

I just finished making a new draw bolt for the gentleman, and cleaning
it all up, checking the arbor and spindle between centers for runout,
and cleaning the inside taper with a B&S 9 reamer (damn thats a hard
spindle..never did touch the metal, just cleaned out the rust) Every
thing is nice and straight

Just a heads up...be sure to remove your B&S taper device occasionally
to make sure it doesnt rust in.

Anyone have any suggestions for a proper lube to use on a self holding
taper, to make sure it doesnt rust, but still holds well enough to
use? No keys or pins in the B&S tapers..
Paste wax? ATF?

Gunner

"As physicists now know, there is some nonzero probability that any object will,
through quantum effects, tunnel from the workbench in your shop to Floyds Knobs,
Indiana (unless your shop is already in Indiana, in which case the object will
tunnel to Trotters, North Dakota).
The smaller mass of the object, the higher the probability.
Therefore, disassembled parts, particularly small ones,
of machines disappear much faster than assembled machines."
Greg Dermer: rec.crafts.metalworking

Just a guess from what I know of oils, but almost anything "ordinary"
should do -- you want the interface to exceed the film strength of the
lubricant to get it to stick, and if that happens you're probably
excluding all the water and other crap that you can.

How many years did it sit? Or did the arbor go into the spindle rusty?

It sat for about a year..18 months. The arbor was clean when I put it
in. Clean and dry. Which was probably the problem.

Gunner

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com