Gunner

Default B&S #9 taper-metalworking content

On 29 Mar 2004 00:43:19 GMT, (Fdmorrison) wrote:

Gunner

wrt B&S mill arbor removal

I started trying to remove the arbor
yesterday..normal stuff, heat, Kroil, etc etc. No go. I made a new
draw bolt less the treads, (his was broken off IN the arbor) and
tried pressing it out with my 6 ton press. Still no go.

I have no knowledge. But, the problem with a broken drawbolt is as to what's
pointing out at you when you're trying to get the knockout on it. If it and
the knockout bar's face are not making good contact, but sliding off of each
other then it gets frustrating. A knockout bar as large as possible for the
bore (the more weight the better), perhaps with a concave face, is best.
Have the outer end of the bar threaded with a nut (or shouldered) so you can
slam it with the BFH and not send it through the spindle. Spindle front end
supported (like on an anvil or welding table that has a hole to allow the arbor
to pass through). With a rigid knockout and a righteous hammer smack you have a
possible solution before going the press route. You can tell by the feel and
sound if a hammer blow is just rattling the knockout.
Oil, of course. Heat--the outside of the spindle to make its inside diameter
expand. Then the knockout and hammer.

I don't think rust is the problem. I think it was the event that caused the
drawbar to shear.

Frank Morrison

He busted off the drawbar, when thumping on the end of it with a BFH.
Looks to be a crystallization at the point that snapped. Old age and a
million BFH's. The arbor came out brown..and shiney. So it was a
combination of fine rust and old oil that had glued it in. I was the
original owner and Id left the arbor in, and stored it for over a year
wrapped in shrink wrap. Everything else was still nice and oily
(Boshield), but evidently some condensation or similar had gotten in
the taper. It was some hard stuff but came off after a bit of soak in
Kroil then hitting it with a gray scotchbrite while spinning in the
lathe.

Gunner

"As physicists now know, there is some nonzero probability that any object will,
through quantum effects, tunnel from the workbench in your shop to Floyds Knobs,
Indiana (unless your shop is already in Indiana, in which case the object will
tunnel to Trotters, North Dakota).
The smaller mass of the object, the higher the probability.
Therefore, disassembled parts, particularly small ones,
of machines disappear much faster than assembled machines."
Greg Dermer: rec.crafts.metalworking