Rex the Wrench

Default B&S #9 taper-metalworking content

With the top nut installed on the spindle, loosening the drawbar causes
the shoulder on the drawbar to come up hard against the nut which forces
the collet or tool holder to unseat from the spindle. My #645 Index (#9
B&S taper) and my Bridgeport "M" head (#7 B&S taper) are both set up in
a similar fashion.

Rex the Wrench

Marty Escarcega wrote:
"larry g" wrote in
:

Gunner
Did your Index 40 have the nut on top of the spindle that would allow
the drawbar to push out the tool holder? Could this Vernon spindle be
modified so that the same idea could be used? I can't believe that
this restrained drawbar idea didn't become a standard throughout the
industry. Its so nice to loosen the draw bar a couple of turns and
the tool is pushed out by the drawbar with no pounding on the drawbar
to remove the toolholder. lg

Funny, you mention that. This 40H has a thread ontop of the spindle, have
no idea why, I can't figure out how it would eject the tool holder.....
Marty