Posted to alt.home.repair
ng_reader ng_reader is offline

Default Smoke shelf?

"Heathcliff" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 7, 12:29 pm, "ng_reader" wrote:
Trying to find a good diagram of this

http://www.gobrick.com/BIA/technotes/t19a.htm

Was about as good as I could, but does not explain my problem.

Recently getting my chimney swept, I was given an estimate of 1k to
replace
my disintegrated Smoke Shelf.

The guy was cool, said that is why I sometimes may get smoke in the room
(I
do --- but only initially and it goes away in less than 20 seconds), and
unless I was selling the house, no big deal.

But, on his estimate, he noted that the chimney could be brought "into"
code
with said Smoke Shelf.

Getting back to this Smoke Shelf, it is above the damper, and if it looks
like the diagram shown, how on Earth could it be disintegrated?

Color me curious...

You can try and inspect it yourself with a trouble light. I would
take the sweep's advice with a big grain of salt. I had sweep service
out once where the guy then explained that my chimney liner was
cracked and I needed a stainless steel chimney liner for some ungodly
amount of money. I went up on the roof and looked where he said the
problem was, did not see any problem, used the fireplace for several
more years, had another sweep service later and they said it was
fine. I had long since concluded that it was like the guys at the oil
change place who tell you your car needs this or that other service
for a few dollars more.

If you don't feel you can evaluate it yourself get a second opinion
and try to find someone who comes with a personal recommendation from
someone you trust. -- H

You may be right.

I haven't lived here all my life, but some people have. I threw a name at
the estimator guy and he had no idea who I was talking about. This is a
local guy that delivers firewood and such.

Also, the bill I received was on their letterhead with all these different
phone numbers and addresses; but pointing back to my home town --- which is
supposed to be their *office*.

So, while he may be local, they want to appear local to about 15 other
areas, and that --- seems a bit tawdry.

But, on the flip-side (oh, how I hate hearing that in conversation), how
many freaking chimney sweeps do I expect here in the suburban Philadelphia
area? 3???? 2????

They probably are good at doing chimney repair, but also good at skying
estimates and scaring consumers.