Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smoke shelf?

Trying to find a good diagram of this

http://www.gobrick.com/BIA/technotes/t19a.htm

Was about as good as I could, but does not explain my problem.

Recently getting my chimney swept, I was given an estimate of 1k to replace
my disintegrated Smoke Shelf.

The guy was cool, said that is why I sometimes may get smoke in the room (I
do --- but only initially and it goes away in less than 20 seconds), and
unless I was selling the house, no big deal.

But, on his estimate, he noted that the chimney could be brought "into" code
with said Smoke Shelf.

Getting back to this Smoke Shelf, it is above the damper, and if it looks
like the diagram shown, how on Earth could it be disintegrated?

Color me curious...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 1:29 pm, "ng_reader" wrote:
Trying to find a good diagram of this

http://www.gobrick.com/BIA/technotes/t19a.htm

Was about as good as I could, but does not explain my problem.

Recently getting my chimney swept, I was given an estimate of 1k to replace
my disintegrated Smoke Shelf.

The guy was cool, said that is why I sometimes may get smoke in the room (I
do --- but only initially and it goes away in less than 20 seconds), and
unless I was selling the house, no big deal.

But, on his estimate, he noted that the chimney could be brought "into" code
with said Smoke Shelf.

Getting back to this Smoke Shelf, it is above the damper, and if it looks
like the diagram shown, how on Earth could it be disintegrated?

Color me curious...

Sure sounds like a scam. Maybe he's the perp, even? Second opinion
time.

A little spray of strong acid in the area sure would soften any
mortar.

The bit about "code" is summat of a red-flag.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 12:29 pm, "ng_reader" wrote:
Trying to find a good diagram of this

http://www.gobrick.com/BIA/technotes/t19a.htm

Was about as good as I could, but does not explain my problem.

Recently getting my chimney swept, I was given an estimate of 1k to replace
my disintegrated Smoke Shelf.

The guy was cool, said that is why I sometimes may get smoke in the room (I
do --- but only initially and it goes away in less than 20 seconds), and
unless I was selling the house, no big deal.

But, on his estimate, he noted that the chimney could be brought "into" code
with said Smoke Shelf.

Getting back to this Smoke Shelf, it is above the damper, and if it looks
like the diagram shown, how on Earth could it be disintegrated?

Color me curious...

Smoke shelves are a holdover from a time when people imagined it was
something that made sense. There have been tests showing there are
nowhere near as efficient as a straight hole up the chimney for
creating a proper draft. There was a good article in the Journal of
Light Home Construction a few years ago. So I wouldn't spend a dime on
it, unless it's to restore the ledge that is supporting the damper
assembly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

hmmm maybe, not a perp, I don't think. Just someone trying to earn a
paycheck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"MarkL" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Well, the damper assembly does actuate a little funny. But it works, and he
made no mention of that. So, I will leave it alone, for now. I will google
that article, in case it is still on-line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

20 seconds of smoke at the start is quite normal. I wouldnt worry
about that. Since the damper is actuating funny you would be looking
at a chimney balloon ($50) or a replacement damper ($500 or so
installed) to fix that issue. If the condition of the inside of the
smoke shelf of the chimney is in question, then the whole interior of
the chimney would be in question, so you would really be looking more
at a stainless chimney liner. But that would be up to a sweep that has
a camera to inspect it well.
Or you could just plug it and forget it, since traditional fireplaces
are such a loosing heat energy option anyway. Using them makes your
energy bill go up - not down.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 10:11:36 -0700, German Jerry
wrote:

20 seconds of smoke at the start is quite normal. I wouldnt worry
about that. Since the damper is actuating funny you would be looking
at a chimney balloon ($50) or a replacement damper ($500 or so
installed) to fix that issue. If the condition of the inside of the
smoke shelf of the chimney is in question, then the whole interior of
the chimney would be in question, so you would really be looking more
at a stainless chimney liner. But that would be up to a sweep that has
a camera to inspect it well.
Or you could just plug it and forget it, since traditional fireplaces
are such a loosing heat energy option anyway. Using them makes your
energy bill go up - not down.

What about when the furnace isn't working? I have a fireplace in the
basement, with the clean half of my workshop and a bed Is it able to
at least heat the room it is in?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 7, 12:29 pm, "ng_reader" wrote:
Trying to find a good diagram of this

http://www.gobrick.com/BIA/technotes/t19a.htm

Was about as good as I could, but does not explain my problem.

Recently getting my chimney swept, I was given an estimate of 1k to replace
my disintegrated Smoke Shelf.

The guy was cool, said that is why I sometimes may get smoke in the room (I
do --- but only initially and it goes away in less than 20 seconds), and
unless I was selling the house, no big deal.

But, on his estimate, he noted that the chimney could be brought "into" code
with said Smoke Shelf.

Getting back to this Smoke Shelf, it is above the damper, and if it looks
like the diagram shown, how on Earth could it be disintegrated?

Color me curious...

You can try and inspect it yourself with a trouble light. I would
take the sweep's advice with a big grain of salt. I had sweep service
out once where the guy then explained that my chimney liner was
cracked and I needed a stainless steel chimney liner for some ungodly
amount of money. I went up on the roof and looked where he said the
problem was, did not see any problem, used the fireplace for several
more years, had another sweep service later and they said it was
fine. I had long since concluded that it was like the guys at the oil
change place who tell you your car needs this or that other service
for a few dollars more.

If you don't feel you can evaluate it yourself get a second opinion
and try to find someone who comes with a personal recommendation from
someone you trust. -- H

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

20 seconds of smoke at the start is quite normal. I wouldnt worry
about that. Since the damper is actuating funny you would be looking
at a chimney balloon ($50) or a replacement damper ($500 or so
installed) to fix that issue. If the condition of the inside of the
smoke shelf of the chimney is in question, then the whole interior of
the chimney would be in question, so you would really be looking more
at a stainless chimney liner. But that would be up to a sweep that has
a camera to inspect it well.
Or you could just plug it and forget it, since traditional fireplaces
are such a loosing heat energy option anyway. Using them makes your
energy bill go up - not down.

What about when the furnace isn't working? I have a fireplace in the
basement, with the clean half of my workshop and a bed Is it able to
at least heat the room it is in?

Your answer is prolly going to lie in common sense.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Heathcliff" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You may be right.

I haven't lived here all my life, but some people have. I threw a name at
the estimator guy and he had no idea who I was talking about. This is a
local guy that delivers firewood and such.

Also, the bill I received was on their letterhead with all these different
phone numbers and addresses; but pointing back to my home town --- which is
supposed to be their *office*.

So, while he may be local, they want to appear local to about 15 other
areas, and that --- seems a bit tawdry.

But, on the flip-side (oh, how I hate hearing that in conversation), how
many freaking chimney sweeps do I expect here in the suburban Philadelphia
area? 3???? 2????

They probably are good at doing chimney repair, but also good at skying
estimates and scaring consumers.

help converting a (adjustable) shelf into a pull out shelf harsh Woodworking 2 June 13th 06 10:59 PM
Shelf Brian In Hampton Woodworking 4 April 23rd 06 12:21 AM
Smoke alarms for rooms where people smoke [email protected] UK diy 26 January 10th 05 05:54 PM
Shelf Jo Home Repair 3 May 5th 04 02:36 AM
Shelf barry martin Home Repair 0 May 4th 04 08:10 PM