Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Charles is offline

Default VOM -- How to use

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an active post about an attic fan, but noted that I don't
really know HOW to operate my "Portable 27-Range Multitester," an
analog VOM from about 1980-82.

It has an instruction manual that is about as clear as mud. I have
also read the appropriate pages in my "Readers Digest Fix-it Yourself"
book and my Time-Life "Complete Fix-it Yourself Manual"

What I don't understand is I have four dial settings areas basically
1. ACV 2. DCV 3. DCUA (the U is some south of wierd symbol, looks like
a U..sorta) 4. A Greek symbol, I think it's Omega (sorta of a squashed
upside down U).

Then there are four holes for the banana plugs. 1. COM, 2. V-(Omega?)-
A 3. AC 1KV 4. DC 1KV

And of course the dial sections are a gobbly gook of RX1 or 1KV or .
25, you get the picture.

All I want to know most of the time is if there is current flowing and
if there is, how much?

How do I measure that? Any good webpages? I think I looked last March
when I was doing some wiring work in the car, but I never found
anything. I ended up just using my continuity tester....even I can
figure out "when the bulb lights, there is juice!"

It would be helpful if you could post a picture of your multimeter or a
link. Your description is confusing.

The four jacks are understandable, but the range selections seem wrong.

One uses the common (COM) jack for all measurements. Jack 2 is for
measuring volts and resistance and current. Jack 3 is for measuring ac
voltages up to 1,000 volts. Jack 4 is for measuring dc voltages up to 1,000
volts. Your meter might not be able to measure ac current. Usually, one
uses the volts function when troubleshooting housewiring. If the power is
off, the resistance function can also be used for troubleshooting.