Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] timbirr@mailcity.com is offline

Default VOM -- How to use

I have an active post about an attic fan, but noted that I don't
really know HOW to operate my "Portable 27-Range Multitester," an
analog VOM from about 1980-82.

It has an instruction manual that is about as clear as mud. I have
also read the appropriate pages in my "Readers Digest Fix-it Yourself"
book and my Time-Life "Complete Fix-it Yourself Manual"

What I don't understand is I have four dial settings areas basically
1. ACV 2. DCV 3. DCUA (the U is some south of wierd symbol, looks like
a U..sorta) 4. A Greek symbol, I think it's Omega (sorta of a squashed
upside down U).

Then there are four holes for the banana plugs. 1. COM, 2. V-(Omega?)-
A 3. AC 1KV 4. DC 1KV

And of course the dial sections are a gobbly gook of RX1 or 1KV or .
25, you get the picture.

All I want to know most of the time is if there is current flowing and
if there is, how much?

How do I measure that? Any good webpages? I think I looked last March
when I was doing some wiring work in the car, but I never found
anything. I ended up just using my continuity tester....even I can
figure out "when the bulb lights, there is juice!"