Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Electric hook-up; Attic fan

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 08:34:45 -0700, wrote:

OP here again:

Thanks for the replies:

back on....of course, in the meantime, the responsible breaker could
have failed, but I hate to willy-nilly start replacing them, as I have

One shouldn't be replacing breakers willy-nilly in any case. I don't
think it's the breaker, but if it comes to that, you take the cover
off the panel and use your VOM to see if any of them are dead,
measuring at the screws on the far sides from the midline of the
panel. Each screw should be 110. If it's a 220 circuit, it will have
two breakers each with 110.

3) Reacting to the "cheesy thermostat" idea, they did note in the GAF
install/owners manual for this new fan that the thermostat was only
"approximately" accurate....so I think I'll wait until the weather

I think they are talking about 1 to 4 degrees, and have that in there
so no one will yell at them for that. My fan thermostat doesn't have
numbers on it, I think for the same reason. If perchance it does turn
out to be far off what it says, you should probably set it for what it
should be, regardless of the number it is set to. That is, if it is
supposed to go on at 90, it should be set that way, regardless of what
number the shaft or knob is pointing at.

warms, probably next week and see if it kicks on. If it does, fine.
If not, I guess I'll go pull it apart, try the direct connect and work
from that result (VOM, continuity tester, etal).

Only problem is I have an 1980's era analog VOM that I still don't
really understand how to operate.....

There was nothing wrong with 80's VOMs. I have one and I use it, and
I have from the 70's, 90's and 00's too. I think I had a small one
from the 60's that I was measuring something under the hood with, and
then left it there, and when I opened the hood 100 miles later, all
that was there was two frayed wires.

But that's ot. Does your meter have a knob? Is setting the knob the
problem? Or is knowing which holes to plug in the wires the problem?

You're going to be forever stuck in kindergarten if you don't learn
how to use a meter. So please post back.