Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Had tree stump ground down, how to fill in hole?

"Red" wrote in message
Huh?? What happened to the material that came out of the hole? Mix
the soil with the tree chips and refill the hole - it'll make good
compost.

And once it decays, you can fill it again, correctly this time. That wood
will continue to rot for a long time.

Be sure, also, that the stump is gone for a good distance down. About 12 or
more years ago I had to take down a tree that was dying. It had about a 12"
diameter trunk. We cut it down OK, then took the stump down about 8 inches
and filled the hole. The stump eventually rotted out the rest of the way.
What I did not realize at the time was that the builder had filled the land
a bit around the tree at least a foot or two. My wife happened to step on
the slight depression and almost her entire let went into the hole.
Fortunately, my SIL and grandson were there to help her out. It took many
years for it to do that, but it left a void. I've since filled it in with
some stone, clay, then topsoil and it has been ok, just a minor 2"
depression about a year later from the final settling.