Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Electrical connection for generator (in fuse box) - info, docsor links wanted

Apropos wrote:
Anyone know of any good guides showing how to hook up a fuse box to accept a
generator? I want to hook up a 4-wire, 220v 30A connection straight into
the box to power the whole home (obviously not everything in it, just what I
choose to turn on).

There should be some websites or documents out there which show what to do.
I know much of what needs to be done, I just need to know the specifics.

If it's really an emergency (longterm power outage), you break the seal
on the meter box and remove the meter. Now you are disconnected from
the grid and can do whatever you need to do (like carefully backfeed a
welder or range or dryer outlet). The power company will understand
when you call them to reseal the meter.

It would be safer to install a recessed-male plug somewhere instead of
using a dryer outlet. There's a reason double male cords are called
"suicide cords".

If it's just a short-term power outage, Just use extension cords and
don't try to connect the gen to the house wiring.

Bob