Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical connection for generator (in fuse box) - info, docs or links wanted

Our local utility (Dominion, Virginia) is marketing a switch that has a
special connector that sits between the meter and the meter base. The
"switch box" is mounted on the wall within reach of the cord connector
(about 6').

"They" want $995 for it "installed." Since installation just means
removing and replacing the meter and hanging up the box, I judge they price
that hardware at $700+.

BUT, it's a neat solution to the problem.

In the same bill (they "market" when they send the monthly bill) "they" were
selling gas generators for several times what you would pay for the same
capacity at, say, Wal-Mart.

IMO, if you can get it, the "meter" base is the best solution. I don't
have technical details (for example, will the switch have a remote control
option or will it permit remote monitoring of whether the utility power has
been restored) but the basic idea is sound and shows that the utility is
addressing the problem in a realistic manner.

"Apropos" wrote in message
Anyone know of any good guides showing how to hook up a fuse box to accept

generator? I want to hook up a 4-wire, 220v 30A connection straight into
the box to power the whole home (obviously not everything in it, just what

choose to turn on).

There should be some websites or documents out there which show what to

do.
I know much of what needs to be done, I just need to know the specifics.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

You need to get an interlocking device that would only allow the generator
feed or the utility company feed, but not both at the same time , power the
panel. I know Square D makes them, but I'm not sure about other companies

"Apropos" wrote in message
Anyone know of any good guides showing how to hook up a fuse box to accept
generator? I want to hook up a 4-wire, 220v 30A connection straight into
the box to power the whole home (obviously not everything in it, just what
choose to turn on).

There should be some websites or documents out there which show what to
do.
I know much of what needs to be done, I just need to know the specifics.

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 6/8/2007 7:47 AM Apropos said the following:
Anyone know of any good guides showing how to hook up a fuse box to accept a
generator? I want to hook up a 4-wire, 220v 30A connection straight into
the box to power the whole home (obviously not everything in it, just what I
choose to turn on).

There should be some websites or documents out there which show what to do.
I know much of what needs to be done, I just need to know the specifics.

Even I, a one-time part-time house builder who has personally run many
new circuits in my house, am not so stupid as to attempt this myself.
Some things you don't f__k with if you have to ask for directions.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 9:47 am, "Apropos"
wrote:
Anyone know of any good guides showing how to hook up a fuse box to accept a
generator? I want to hook up a 4-wire, 220v 30A connection straight into
the box to power the whole home (obviously not everything in it, just what I
choose to turn on).

There should be some websites or documents out there which show what to do.
I know much of what needs to be done, I just need to know the specifics.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

With apologies if you are more knowledgeable than it appears to me
from the initial posting above.

Presuming you are talking about the situation where you hook up a
generator for use during an extensive failure of the commercial power?

Reading this forum and elsewhere I have gathered that it is illegal
(In almost all jurisdictions) because it it is unsafe, to hook up a
standby generator WITHOUT COMPLETELY DISCONNECTING ANY CONNECTION TO
THE EXTERNAL ELECTRIC UTILITY SUPPLY.

This means that the electrical service to your residence must be
reconfigured with a 'changeover switch' or equivalent interlocked
arrangement (presumably between the utility meter and your existing
main circuit breaker) so that is is impossible for the generator and
the external supply to be connected together at the same time.

Just to expand on that requirement a little; the danger is to workers
on the power supply lines who might receive voltage/s back from your
generator while working, to repair a fault or upgrade equipment.

If, God forbid, a death or injury occurred, due to some unauthorized
hook-up, the householder could be liable?

Others with greater skill and knowledge on this news group will no
doubt comment about the technical details.

Posted to alt.home.repair

PS. In other words you can't just depend on throwing the main circuit
breaker 'off' then having hooked it 'start up the generator'.

It would work but not safe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well, sometimes you pretty much know how but you prefer to see it spelled
out and drawn out ;-)

At any rate, do you know anywhere which shows the procedure to hook up a
generator feed IN to the fuse box, such that I can disconnect via the main,
from the local utility?

It really doesn't seem that complicated. It's just the kind of thing you
just don't want to get WRONG ... LOL

"willshak" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Apropos wrote:
Well, sometimes you pretty much know how but you prefer to see it spelled
out and drawn out ;-)

At any rate, do you know anywhere which shows the procedure to hook up a
generator feed IN to the fuse box, such that I can disconnect via the main,
from the local utility?

It really doesn't seem that complicated. It's just the kind of thing you
just don't want to get WRONG ... LOL

But your idea is already wrong and not according to any code or standard
practice.

You need an interlocking device (transfer switch) to insure that the
mains and generator can never be connected.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Apropos wrote:
Anyone know of any good guides showing how to hook up a fuse box to
accept a generator? I want to hook up a 4-wire, 220v 30A connection
straight into the box to power the whole home (obviously not
everything in it, just what I choose to turn on).

There should be some websites or documents out there which show what
to do. I know much of what needs to be done, I just need to know the
specifics.

If you have circuit breakers (and not fuses), you install a new double
breaker. This breaker should connect to both busses. To this new breaker you
connect your generator (usually though a special plug attached to the
circuit breaker box). The generator's ground and neutral are connected
directly (again, via the plug) to the corresponding connections in the
breaker box.

This new breaker should remain "off" until you need the generator. At that
time, you throw the mains switch to "off" and this new breaker to "on."

Here's the trick: There should be some way to prevent both the mains switch
and your generator circuit breaker from both being "on" at the same time.
This is to protect the power company linemen - who are no doubt not
following approved safety procedures - from getting tickled by your
generator's output.

Square-D, for example, makes a two-dollar bit of metal (which they sell for
about $150) that physically prevents both switches from being "on"
simultaneously (look for Square-D Interlock kit).

See: http://ecatalog.squared.com/techlib/...00892680126e4f

for proof on how cheesy the $150 "interlock" is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Apropos" wrote in message
Anyone know of any good guides showing how to hook up a fuse box to accept
generator? I want to hook up a 4-wire, 220v 30A connection straight into
the box to power the whole home (obviously not everything in it, just what
choose to turn on).

There should be some websites or documents out there which show what to
do.
I know much of what needs to be done, I just need to know the specifics.

I will second (or third) everyone else's advice. If you need to be told how
to do this, you shouldn't be doing it. Quick reality check; do you break
just the hots, or also the grounds and neutral? You don't know, do you.
Then leave it alone.

If you install an new circuit incorrectly, it probably just won't work. If
you do this wrong someone could die.
In any event, you are probably better off with a simple commercial transfer
switch. Mine will power 6 circuits; and if you do it wrong, it just won't
work.

(Sure, you could do a circuit or TS wrong so it is dangerous, but you would
almost have to try.)
(Answer to QRC, it depends on the generator.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Apropos" wrote:

Anyone know of any good guides showing how to hook up a fuse box to accept a
generator? I want to hook up a 4-wire, 220v 30A connection straight into
the box to power the whole home (obviously not everything in it, just what I
choose to turn on).

There should be some websites or documents out there which show what to do.
I know much of what needs to be done, I just need to know the specifics.

I disagree with the idea that because you don't already know how to do
something, you shouldn't do it. Of course it's good to do your study and
research first.

I typed

connect emergency generator to service box

and this was the first hit. Seemed like a good place to start. Scroll
down to the "integrated system" section.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
"Apropos" wrote:

Anyone know of any good guides showing how to hook up a fuse box to accept a
generator? I want to hook up a 4-wire, 220v 30A connection straight into
the box to power the whole home (obviously not everything in it, just what I
choose to turn on).

There should be some websites or documents out there which show what to do.
I know much of what needs to be done, I just need to know the specifics.

I disagree with the idea that because you don't already know how to do
something, you shouldn't do it. Of course it's good to do your study and
research first.

I typed

connect emergency generator to service box

and this was the first hit. Seemed like a good place to start. Scroll
down to the "integrated system" section.

OOPS, sorry, here's the link:

http://www.nyseg.com/nysegweb/webcontent.nsf/Lookup/EmergGen/$file/EmergG
en.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 07:06:46 -0300, "John Gilmer" wrote:

[...]

Please forgive me. I can't resist ...

"You should not be overly alarmed to find that you are brainwashed.
We are all brainwashed ..."

If your public service commission allows your utility to hustle
bucks on such utilitys service failures, perhaps neither the psc nor
such utility is addressing the basic and essential problem at all.

How much will such utility make if there are only 2 outages per
year (about all that should be allowed)? How much will they make
if there are 14 or 23 outages? Can you imagine a scenario in
which the utilitys profit targets are dependent on the number
of outages (above "normal") per year?

Beware,
Al

"The monkey and the baboon was playing 7-up.
The monkey won the money but he scared to pick it up.
The monkey stumbled, mama.
The baboon fell.
The monkey grab the money and he run like hell!"
- from "Dirty Motherfuyer", Roosevelt Sykes, around 1935
Posted to alt.home.repair

Apropos wrote:
Anyone know of any good guides showing how to hook up a fuse box to accept a
generator? I want to hook up a 4-wire, 220v 30A connection straight into
the box to power the whole home (obviously not everything in it, just what I
choose to turn on).

There should be some websites or documents out there which show what to do.
I know much of what needs to be done, I just need to know the specifics.

If it's really an emergency (longterm power outage), you break the seal
on the meter box and remove the meter. Now you are disconnected from
the grid and can do whatever you need to do (like carefully backfeed a
welder or range or dryer outlet). The power company will understand
when you call them to reseal the meter.

It would be safer to install a recessed-male plug somewhere instead of
using a dryer outlet. There's a reason double male cords are called
"suicide cords".

If it's just a short-term power outage, Just use extension cords and
don't try to connect the gen to the house wiring.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

Apropos wrote:
Well, sometimes you pretty much know how but you prefer to see it spelled
out and drawn out ;-)

At any rate, do you know anywhere which shows the procedure to hook up a
generator feed IN to the fuse box, such that I can disconnect via the main,
from the local utility?

Except that your idea of disconecting from the grid by manually tripping
the "MAIN" to off when you want to use the generator violates code, is damn
dangerous and may kill a power company worker, exposes you to huge
civil liability, is industrial strength STOOPID and is not, at all,
apropos.

"willshak" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 8, 8:34 am, terry wrote:
PS. In other words you can't just depend on throwing the main circuit
breaker 'off' then having hooked it 'start up the generator'.

It would work but not safe.

What you need ( and I think is required) is an automatic transfer
switch. When the loss of utility power is detected, the switch will
automatically disconnect the utility power and switch over to the
generator. The switch usually requires a control module for detecting
the change in voltage. Companies such as ASCO build switche modules.
They ain't cheap and with good reason. It has to be fool proof for
many of the reasons stated.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

bejay wrote:
On Jun 8, 8:34 am, terry wrote:
PS. In other words you can't just depend on throwing the main circuit
breaker 'off' then having hooked it 'start up the generator'.

It would work but not safe.

What you need ( and I think is required) is an automatic transfer
switch. ...

Transfer switch, yes; _automatic_ no.

Manual is perfectly adequate and rarely needed for anything other than
convenience, certainly, for residential application(s).

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, bejay wrote:
On Jun 8, 8:34 am, terry wrote:
PS. In other words you can't just depend on throwing the main circuit
breaker 'off' then having hooked it 'start up the generator'.

It would work but not safe.

What you need ( and I think is required) is an automatic transfer
switch.

He needs a transfer switch -- but not necessarily an automatic one. A manual
transfer switch will work just fine.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
"Apropos" wrote:

[...]

If you surround your links with angle brackets, the line won't be broken as
in:

http://www.nyseg.com/nysegweb/webcon...e/EmergGen.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

zxcvbob writes:

It would be safer to install a recessed-male plug somewhere instead of
using a dryer outlet. There's a reason double male cords are called
"suicide cords".

But you don't really want the male plug connected to a normal breaker in
the panel, either, because it would become live with exposed hot metal
parts if someone turned the breaker on by accident when the panel was
under utility power. That's at least as suicidal.

The safe way to do this is with the male plug connected to one input of
a transfer switch that is upstream of the main panel. The transfer
switch avoids any possibility of backfeeding, and it also means that the
male plug can never be powered from the utility. It can only receive
power from the generator, and pass it along to the main panel if the
transfer switch is set appropriately.

Dave
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"HeyBub" wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:

OOPS, sorry, here's the link:

http://www.nyseg.com/nysegweb/webcontent.nsf/Lookup/EmergGen/$file/EmergG
en.pdf

If you surround your links with angle brackets, the line won't be broken as
in:

http://www.nyseg.com/nysegweb/webcon...e/EmergGen.pdf

Dang it! Thanks for that tip!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dave Martindale wrote:
zxcvbob writes:

It would be safer to install a recessed-male plug somewhere instead of
using a dryer outlet. There's a reason double male cords are called
"suicide cords".

But you don't really want the male plug connected to a normal breaker in
the panel, either, because it would become live with exposed hot metal
parts if someone turned the breaker on by accident when the panel was
under utility power. That's at least as suicidal.

Excellent point. Thanks.

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:
Apropos wrote:
Well, sometimes you pretty much know how but you prefer to see it spelled
out and drawn out ;-)

At any rate, do you know anywhere which shows the procedure to hook up a
generator feed IN to the fuse box, such that I can disconnect via the
main,
from the local utility?

It really doesn't seem that complicated. It's just the kind of thing you
just don't want to get WRONG ... LOL

But your idea is already wrong and not according to any code or standard
practice.

You need an interlocking device (transfer switch) to insure that the
mains and generator can never be connected.

George
That is not correct. At least two manufacturers make interlock devices
that are in fact add ons to the main distribution panel for the home.
Just like the separate transfer switches these breaker interlock kits
will prevent the generator supply from connecting with the outside
lines. Since these interlock kits are laboratory listed they are in
fact in accordance with the National Electric Code.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison
Posted to alt.home.repair

"willshak" wrote in message

[...]

The interlock kits manufactured by Square D and Cutler Hammer both work
by tripping the main breaker to the off position manually, Moving the
interlock manually, and closing the generators isolating breaker
manually. These are listed devices so what are you on about.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Posted to alt.home.repair

bejay wrote:
On Jun 8, 8:34 am, terry wrote:
PS. In other words you can't just depend on throwing the main circuit
breaker 'off' then having hooked it 'start up the generator'.

It would work but not safe.

What you need ( and I think is required) is an automatic transfer
switch. When the loss of utility power is detected, the switch will
automatically disconnect the utility power and switch over to the
generator. The switch usually requires a control module for detecting
the change in voltage. Companies such as ASCO build switche modules.
They ain't cheap and with good reason. It has to be fool proof for
many of the reasons stated.

Were do you guys get the idea that the transfer interlock has to be
automatic and external to the circuit breaker panel. There are transfer
interlocks available from at least two manufacturers that are manually
operated and are installed inside the panel's enclosing cabinet. The
include a manual means that prevents the simultaneous closing of both
the main and the generator circuit breakers.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison
Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Apropos wrote:
[...]

That's funny the one I purchased for one of my churches summer camps was
fifty dollars. I guess your not shopping around for the best price.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 9, 1:34 pm, "Member, Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department"
wrote:
bejay wrote:
On Jun 8, 8:34 am, terry wrote:
[...]

..
Can't recall anyone saying it had to be 'automatic'! Just that there
should be an interlock.
Some who posted feel that the interlock would be some sort of device
'between' the meter of the incoming utility electric supply and the
fuse panel.
There may be other ways of doing it within the circuit panel, as
mentioned by Tom Horne.
Some 40+ years ago I had a Pushmatic Panel that would have been ideal.
It had two breakers in the input section . If those two could have
been interlocked mechanically in some manner so that manually they
could not both be 'on line' at same time it would have been safe.
The OP keeps asking 'What is needed'? Considering the manner of asking
hope that someone competent is hired to do the actual work!

low odour grass composting station: build or buy? links, tips wanted bent Woodworking 12 May 8th 07 05:04 PM
fuse box relocation [email protected] UK diy 6 December 21st 06 10:59 AM
fuse box relocation John Rumm UK diy 0 December 17th 06 08:23 AM
5A fuse replacement in fuse box - does not quite fit... [email protected] UK diy 8 August 22nd 06 11:59 PM
Generator Connection Matt Home Repair 14 November 24th 04 06:56 PM