Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub HeyBub is offline

Default Electrical connection for generator (in fuse box) - info, docs or links wanted

Apropos wrote:
Anyone know of any good guides showing how to hook up a fuse box to
accept a generator? I want to hook up a 4-wire, 220v 30A connection
straight into the box to power the whole home (obviously not
everything in it, just what I choose to turn on).

There should be some websites or documents out there which show what
to do. I know much of what needs to be done, I just need to know the
specifics.

If you have circuit breakers (and not fuses), you install a new double
breaker. This breaker should connect to both busses. To this new breaker you
connect your generator (usually though a special plug attached to the
circuit breaker box). The generator's ground and neutral are connected
directly (again, via the plug) to the corresponding connections in the
breaker box.

This new breaker should remain "off" until you need the generator. At that
time, you throw the mains switch to "off" and this new breaker to "on."

Here's the trick: There should be some way to prevent both the mains switch
and your generator circuit breaker from both being "on" at the same time.
This is to protect the power company linemen - who are no doubt not
following approved safety procedures - from getting tickled by your
generator's output.

Square-D, for example, makes a two-dollar bit of metal (which they sell for
about $150) that physically prevents both switches from being "on"
simultaneously (look for Square-D Interlock kit).

See: http://ecatalog.squared.com/techlib/...00892680126e4f

for proof on how cheesy the $150 "interlock" is.