Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Electrical connection for generator (in fuse box) - info, docs or links wanted

On Jun 8, 9:47 am, "Apropos"
wrote:
Anyone know of any good guides showing how to hook up a fuse box to accept a
generator? I want to hook up a 4-wire, 220v 30A connection straight into
the box to power the whole home (obviously not everything in it, just what I
choose to turn on).

There should be some websites or documents out there which show what to do.
I know much of what needs to be done, I just need to know the specifics.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

With apologies if you are more knowledgeable than it appears to me
from the initial posting above.

Presuming you are talking about the situation where you hook up a
generator for use during an extensive failure of the commercial power?

Reading this forum and elsewhere I have gathered that it is illegal
(In almost all jurisdictions) because it it is unsafe, to hook up a
standby generator WITHOUT COMPLETELY DISCONNECTING ANY CONNECTION TO
THE EXTERNAL ELECTRIC UTILITY SUPPLY.

This means that the electrical service to your residence must be
reconfigured with a 'changeover switch' or equivalent interlocked
arrangement (presumably between the utility meter and your existing
main circuit breaker) so that is is impossible for the generator and
the external supply to be connected together at the same time.

Just to expand on that requirement a little; the danger is to workers
on the power supply lines who might receive voltage/s back from your
generator while working, to repair a fault or upgrade equipment.

If, God forbid, a death or injury occurred, due to some unauthorized
hook-up, the householder could be liable?

Others with greater skill and knowledge on this news group will no
doubt comment about the technical details.