Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default Electrical connection for generator (in fuse box) - info, docs or links wanted

Our local utility (Dominion, Virginia) is marketing a switch that has a
special connector that sits between the meter and the meter base. The
"switch box" is mounted on the wall within reach of the cord connector
(about 6').

"They" want $995 for it "installed." Since installation just means
removing and replacing the meter and hanging up the box, I judge they price
that hardware at $700+.

BUT, it's a neat solution to the problem.

In the same bill (they "market" when they send the monthly bill) "they" were
selling gas generators for several times what you would pay for the same
capacity at, say, Wal-Mart.

IMO, if you can get it, the "meter" base is the best solution. I don't
have technical details (for example, will the switch have a remote control
option or will it permit remote monitoring of whether the utility power has
been restored) but the basic idea is sound and shows that the utility is
addressing the problem in a realistic manner.

"Apropos" wrote in message
Anyone know of any good guides showing how to hook up a fuse box to accept

generator? I want to hook up a 4-wire, 220v 30A connection straight into
the box to power the whole home (obviously not everything in it, just what

choose to turn on).

There should be some websites or documents out there which show what to

do.
I know much of what needs to be done, I just need to know the specifics.