Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default urgent- need help

wrote:
We have a Stainless steel GE Monogram Builtin Dishwasher ZBD5900
We live in the SF bay area, california.

We have a external home applinace warranty.

Our dishwasher needs repair.
The warranty company says it is not worth repairing
so they want to replace it.

I have no experience with dishwashers.

Can anyone suggest a comparable dishwasher ?
What brands ? What model ?
What one MUST have in terms of features ? What one should avoid ?

The one we have has a light inside the dishwasher. It comes on when
one opens
the door. It makes seeing things far back in the corner etc.

I have not seen this feature in the new models in leading brands
like Jenn Air etc

It is urgent because we need a dishwasher quickly. It has been almost
3 weeks now.

Reminds me of an old Joan Rivers line -- "I don't do dishes--you do them
all and a month later they're all just dirty again!"

I don't have current recommendation. Our GE is 20+ yr old and still
works reasonably well so not been in the market for ages. If you've
been pleased w/ what you have, I'd guess looking at that brand's current
models of similar quality level would be a starting point.

I don't normally recommend them much, but seems like I heard a plug from
CR that they had just done a new test. You might look at their ratings
on cleaning ability, etc. I do know they have claimed in the past that
some of the costlier, considered high-end units haven't performed as
well as some of the less expensive. What that says for longevity, etc.,
is of course, yet another question.

I guess a question might be of the warranty company -- what do they work
on most as things one might want to avoid.

As for things to look for, I'd think the light a pretty minimal amenity
unless vision is a real problem for you--the dishwasher just isn't big
enough to make additional light for loading/unloading an issue in my mind.

I'd be looking for things like stainless for corrosion resistance, rack
arrangement and size, etc., ... Oh, one other thing--the only real
complaint I have over the GE is it is noisy so if choosing a new one I'd
make that at least a consideration.