Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jon Jon is offline

Default Central heating a hot water system question

declared for all the world to hear...
Are you sure that the absence of 'click' with the thermostat is it not
turning on? Given the symptoms it seems more likely that the thermostat
is not turning off. This is easily checked by disconnecting the
thermostat (after isolating the supply).

No, it clicks fine when the temperature of the room it is in is lower.
On this particular day it was very hot, and I wanted some hot water for
a shower, washing up etc. We had both the hot water and the heating set
to OFF on the programmer as it had been a prolonged hot spell. I pressed
the +1 hour button on the hot water side of the programmer and within
about 10-15 minutes the radiators were on full blast, even though we had
turned the stat down to 10.
--
Regards
Jon