Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jon Jon is offline

Default Central heating a hot water system question

Should my radiators come on when the hot water comes on - even though
the heating is set to "off" on the programmer, and it's so hot in the
house that turning the stat up to maximum (30) does not cause it to
"click" on?

--
Regards
Jon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Jon wrote :
Should my radiators come on when the hot water comes on - even though
the heating is set to "off" on the programmer, and it's so hot in the
house that turning the stat up to maximum (30) does not cause it to
"click" on?

No it should not. You have a wiring error or a fault with the valve.
Call the installer back if it is a new system.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jon wrote:
Should my radiators come on when the hot water comes on - even though
the heating is set to "off" on the programmer, and it's so hot in the
house that turning the stat up to maximum (30) does not cause it to
"click" on?

You've got a fault. Could be a sticking valve or a design/installation
problem causing thermo circulation. If the latter you may need to add a
one way valve.

--
*Strip mining prevents forest fires.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Jon contains these words:

Sorry I have come late to this thread and most has already expired so
what I say below may already have been said before.

Should my radiators come on when the hot water comes on - even though
the heating is set to "off" on the programmer, and it's so hot in the
house that turning the stat up to maximum (30) does not cause it to
"click" on?

No it should not. You have a wiring error or a fault with the valve.
Call the installer back if it is a new system.

It's 9 years old (built with the house). The pump was replaced recently
but I visually observed the whole process and he simply did remove the
old pump and refit the new one.

Are you sure that the absence of 'click' with the thermostat is it not
turning on? Given the symptoms it seems more likely that the thermostat
is not turning off. This is easily checked by disconnecting the
thermostat (after isolating the supply).

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message
from Jon contains these words:

Are you sure that the absence of 'click' with the thermostat is it not
turning on? Given the symptoms it seems more likely that the thermostat
is not turning off. This is easily checked by disconnecting the
thermostat (after isolating the supply).

No, it clicks fine when the temperature of the room it is in is lower.
On this particular day it was very hot, and I wanted some hot water for
a shower, washing up etc. We had both the hot water and the heating set
to OFF on the programmer as it had been a prolonged hot spell. I pressed
the +1 hour button on the hot water side of the programmer and within
about 10-15 minutes the radiators were on full blast, even though we had
turned the stat down to 10.

As I missed the earlier part of the thread I may be covering old ground
but if the boiler is not responding to the thermostat something must be
shorting it out. I don't know whether you have 2 port or 3 port valve
control but I would have thought sticking valves and/or valve
microswitches need investigating next.

Sorry but I will be off-line for the next few days so won't be able to
take this conversation any further.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Jun, 13:29, Jon wrote:
declared for all the world to hear...

In article ,
Jon wrote:
Should my radiators come on when the hot water comes on - even though
the heating is set to "off" on the programmer, and it's so hot in the
house that turning the stat up to maximum (30) does not cause it to
"click" on?

You've got a fault. Could be a sticking valve or a design/installation
problem causing thermo circulation. If the latter you may need to add a
one way valve.

There are various tap-like valves in the airing cupboard where the
yellow cylindrical tank is. Could one of these be open when it should be
shut or vice-versa?

The motorised valve near the pump seems to be sound, as I can hear it
moving and water starting and stopping when it operates.
--
Regards
Jon

I had a similar problem once. The wife got the data sheets from the
manufacturers on the various valves and controls in the cupboard.
Turned out we had a 3 position valve and a controller for 2 position
valves. This meant that we either had "both" or CH only. The water
would get very hot!