Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Mower engine - UPDATE

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 19:56:05 -0700, wrote:

took the carb apart once again. This time I meticulously cleaned all
little channels and orifices. Blew with compressed air to make sure
all passages are fine.

Perfect.

I dumped out the old gas, some of which spilled on the garage floor.
It sat there for quite a while and didn't evaporate. So just out of
curiosity, I spilled a small amount of fresh gas to see if it
evaporates first..... I immediately noticed the difference in
consistency between the two fluids. The old stuff was thicker than the
new.
It has been about four hours since I did that and there are still
remnants of the old gas on the floor, while the fresh has since
evaporated.

I'm not into gasoline sniffing but I noticed a difference in smell
between the two as well.

I believe that was my initial problem from the get go. While I did not
notice any clogging in the carburetor, it's quite possible that the
engine had trouble sucking the old gas out of the bowl, since it was
so thick (just a hypothesis).

I believe the orifices in the carb throat were "shellacked" over time
with the bad gas and cleaning them was the best method. They needed to
be cleared for air/fuel mixture.

I use a tiny stainless wire, but a carb cleaner solvent works well
when the carb can be soaked over night. The solvent can has a basket
for parts (auto store)...

Good job...

--
Oren

...through the use of electrical or duct tape, achieve the configuration in the photo..