Posted to uk.d-i-y
salesguy salesguy is offline

Default Block paving question. Sand or sand/cement for the gaps?

"Tim Downie" wrote in message
I'm widening my driveway and laying more block paving (standard 20 x10 cm
blocks).

Something that has always annoyed me about the old block paving is the
ability of weeds to set up home in all the gaps.

I know that the recommended way of "setting" the blocks in to use kiln
dried sand but is there any reason not to use a sand/cement mixture and
deprive weeds of a chance to get rooted in the gaps?

This would also mean I could pressure wash the drive without digging out
all the sand.

Any comments?

Tim

Sand only, sand/cement *WILL* stain concrete blocks
Brick acid will clean the cement stains off, but will also etch the surface
of the blocks and expose the aggregate - highly variable results, and it
will affect the colour.

Use weedkiller annually, or a stiff broom to remove the weeds & crud. They
only grow in the surface of the joints, as the blocks shoudl be too tightly
fitted to allow weed growth from below.

SalesGuy