Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Block paving question. Sand or sand/cement for the gaps?

Tim Downie wrote:
adder1969 wrote:
On Jun 5, 10:30 am, "Tim Downie"
wrote:
I'm widening my driveway and laying more block paving (standard 20
x10 cm blocks).

Something that has always annoyed me about the old block paving is
the ability of weeds to set up home in all the gaps.

I know that the recommended way of "setting" the blocks in to use
kiln dried sand but is there any reason not to use a sand/cement
mixture and deprive weeds of a chance to get rooted in the gaps?

This would also mean I could pressure wash the drive without
digging out all the sand.

Any comments?

Tim

try pavingexpert.com?

Thanks. I've just been looking at that link but it makes no mention of
sand/cement mixtures which, on reflection, don't really fit with the concept
of "flexibility" which is kind of inherent in any domestic blockpaving that
*isn't* laid on a solid base. Maybe I'll have to think again.

I used about 6:1 sand - sharp sand - and white cement - matches
sandstone quite well. It became equivalent to grouting tiles in methodology.

A couple of places have moved and cracked - when I get round tuit I'll
repack the cracks..

One problem with cement is the potential for staining but I guess it
depends what blocks you have.

Would a gallon of brick acid sloshed about deal with that?

Yup. Unless you used limestone slabs..

Tim